Western Flyer motorized bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, just ordered all the parts for my build.

I have a 40's or 50's western Flyer that I found under junk in a one room schoolhouse.

Antique parts: I have ordered antique wheels, a battered rear fender, a chain guard from the wrong bike but I like it, and a 1940's pedal assembly.

New parts: Ordered a Repop headlight and delt tail light. Swing down rear stand (from Spooky Tooth) Cannot remember what else.

Engine: Friction drive (yup, I will have to a cut a hole in the rear fender) Simple Simon Setup with Mitsubishi motor.

What have I done so far?
-stripped bike down of its parts. Still wrestling with head assmbly and front fender.
-managed to clean down original paint on tank and frame enought that it is salvagable. Dove grey frame with red tank.
-dismantled seat so I can sandblast and then recover it.

This will be fun for wandering around town! :D

Pictures will come as soon as I upload them to my site.

-Merlin

just a couple things to keep in mind with these motorized bicycles.

theres a lot of horror stories bout motorized bicycles and fenders. i'm not saying not to use em, but you should be careful.

since you mentioned using a beat up old fender, be sure washers are used to prevent screws from pulling thought weakened fenders. lock tite everything! and make sure there good and solid. the last thing you want to do is fold back a front fender at 40mph cause it caught the thread.

triple check that old frame for fatigue. westerns where cheaply made in there day. i've bent a couple frames from everyday riding.

looking forward to seeing the build pic's

Frame welds are all good, frame steel has no rust, it is in surprisingly good shape. The "beat up" fender just has surface rust. I may do some welding of the rear fender to strengthen around areas I have to cut. My main concern is braking power and how to improve it. I may take some cues from one of my antique motorcycles.
thanks, and have fun :D
-Merlin

http://www.hansonmechanical.com
http://www.theatercar.com

My son wanted to do that exact thing, fix up a Western Flyer X-53 and put a motor on it. After he had the X together he decided he liked it too much to risk dropping it with the motor... So we dug up a frame from the garbage heap. Here are the bikes, the X-53 is in the background, the huffy on the left is what was left over from putting the X-53 together and the one on the right is......well its together thats what it is.

Side note, my son has the 49cc on his bike and I have the 80cc on mine, get the 80.

4506136639_99071cf27d_b.jpg

and here is the Western flyer

4444542104_38121c20c2_b.jpg

please tell me you are going to convert that tank to a gas tank.

Sorry my boy is leaving it like it is. I will be building a tank for the huffy though.

ran mine with nothing more than a coaster brake.
the hand levers are gas and clutch.
IMG_0981-1.jpg

IMG_0977-1.jpg

Wow, the perfect thread!
I´ll be building sort of a motorized board track racer very soon and:
Meriln, did not find the pics of your project, in which I´m very interested, but I found pics of a Cj2 modified to look like a MB and got hooked, cause is exactlly the case with mine... more on that?
Willysfan, what about yours? Cj3A or M38?
I love bikes but when It comes to jeeps I´m nuts.
Mine...

I'll get some photos up soon. I seem to restore Jeeps and motorcycles through my business Hanson Mechanical.com I have a '44 MB which is titled as a CJ2A, no CJ2A left though. I currently have a backlog of five Jeep restorations for customers....just lost my apprentice though which makes things go slower. I am currently working on my MB engine as the compression is quite low.

icyuod2 said:
ran mine with nothing more than a coaster brake.
the hand levers are gas and clutch.
IMG_0981-1.jpg

IMG_0977-1.jpg
I love this build!!! I always look at this under the boardtrack gallery, so nice! :mrgreen:

Back