Well, finally bought myself a crusier.. Flying Sue inside...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So crusied into my LBS (the largest Electra dealer on the East Coast) to visit a friend who works there, and lo and behold, a brand new still in box Flying Sue 3i was sitting in the back room. My first response was WTH? I thought they were all LONG gone. Upon asking my buddy, he informed me that when they were discontinued the owner bought the remaining 36 or so Electra had (Electra's main warehouse is apparently only 30 minutes from my house) They proceeded to sell them on ebay and through their online store until all were gone, so they thought. Long story short, this one was shuffled around and the box was stuck in with the BMX box's and it was located only 5 days ago. I asked if I could purchase it, and the response was of course a yes, and due to it being written off as lost last year, I was able to score it for a very modest price.... Here she is in all her pinup glory, my Electra Flying Sue!

ps: boy, does she ride like a dream, plans include springer front end to start, whitewalls, headlight, a more comfy saddle and different grips.

Now for two quick snaps I took leaving my LBS!

IMAG0075.jpg

IMAG0076.jpg

Was so excited I left my car at the shop and rode the bike 2 miles home, promptly removed reflectors in wheels.... lol

One of my favorite Electra bikes. I own a Vince, which has the exact same frame.
Just an FYI that if you use a 'knee-action' springer, the main fork legs will most likely hit the tank when turning sharply.
This will cause scratches and limit the turning radius.

Just my opinion, but springers look great on some bikes, but I think they will cheapen the looks of Your Flying Sue. Springers are full of skinny tubing, and look great on old school frames that also use skinny tubing, but on a modern aluminum frame with fatter tubing (and fatter tires), a springer looks out of place. I think a triple tree fork is the way to go. The earlier Flying Sues had triple tree forks, and IMO, looked sooooo much better then the standard forks on the newer production runs, and would look much better then a springer, on that frame.

And as GameBent said, either a springer or triple tree will hit the tank, so best equip the fork tubes with thick, pliable rubber tubing, where they contact the tank.

i-RqrpRqV-L.jpg

Nice ride! Congrats! 8)

I've had a flying sue for two years can't think of a better ride I've done some upgrades but it not enf to stop it from being a flying sue

I like being a little out there and I love the whole modifying my bikes and in my little hick town I love the odd looks but there also wowed looks so I think that rocks:)

Latest posts

Back