WELCOME TO PORKCHOP BMX!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Some of you may have seen the new banner ads on the site for Porkchop BMX. Owner Justin Earl (aka Porkchop) has joined our family of advertisers on the site. His online store specializes in old school inspired BMX parts. He has quite a selection of cool products to help you restore your old BMX bike or to help you build a sweet Klunker. One of the coolest items he has managed to bring back into production are 20", 24" and 26" Comp III skinwall tires in several color choices. Along with offering parts like AME Tri grips and Flite nylon pads, he also has a sweet custom made line of chainrings that he has dubbed the "CHOP SAWS." He sent me a few of his products to check out and what I received was really nice and came packaged in his own custom packaging. He is also getting ready to release an all chromoly 26" BMX cruiser frame and fork set in the next month or so.

If you get a chance, click on his banner ads here (home, gallery, links pages) on the site and check out everything he has to offer.

Welcome Prokchop! :D

How weird...I was just looking at his web site for the first time, moments before I came here. Pretty cool stuff by the way. :wink:

Hi all:

Thanks for the introduction, Steve.

I guess I should let everyone know who I am and what the heck I think I'm doing :)

This started about 3 years ago when I moved into an old (read: basketcase) house near the neighborhood I grew up in, and I got all nostalgic and decided I wanted a BMX bike to mess around with on the streets I grew up on. I didn't really have any extra money for one, but found someone online selling most of a GT Performer and I sent him $120 money order and to date he has never sent me anything. It's not a lot of money, but for me for a toy, it was a bit of a set back - so I decided to deal in person with folks on Craigslist... and would stumble across deals... like $40 for a bike that I could part out and sell for maybe $150-$200 on E-bay. So I did a bit of that and about 2 years ago I came across a distributor who still had a bunch of stuff from the 1990's (and a bit from the 1980's) sitting in their warehouse. I had 3 pallets of that stuff delivered to my front door and promptly learned a LOT. Some stuff sold, some stuff didn't. Obviously if it was still sitting in a warehouse, it wasn't super rare/popular stuff - but I could see the potential. When some good selling items ran out, I asked about getting more and it turns out a lot of the original tooling still exists... and I was off and running.

I specialize in BMX stuff, late 70's to mid/late 1990's. I also was an avid mountain biker at the height of its popularity in the 1990's, so I have been dabbling in some of the 90's mountain bike stuff too. I recently met Andrew at Smoopy's in Murfreesboro, TN and realized that I really enjoy a lot of the older stuff that is his bread and butter (and that of Rat Rod Bikes) and as with any addiction, I'm sure I'll be spinning out of control with some of this stuff too. :)

Which reminds me, I'm open to suggestions on new products. I've been able to identify a lot of hard to find parts and had them made - ESPECIALLY "small parts" that most companies don't want to fool with because there is no money any it (well there is.. really good profits in fact... but 500% profit on a $0.40 item is still only $2.00 in your pocket, so the big guys ignore the small bits needed to fix/restore components) I'm also big on carrying a full selection of colors/designs/finishes, etc. And I like color a lot. One item that you may be interested in are 13/16" chromoly chrome plated seat posts - I just finalized a order to have some made in 400mm lengths (can be cut down as needed) in straight and layback versions. They'll be in stock around February.

I am a firm believer in respecting intellectual property - so anything I sell with a brand on it, I have either a licensing agreement or permission secured to be selling that brand. Also, if a brand is on an item, it is made by the person/company that owns the brand, so it is genuine stuff - but most likely manufactured in the past year or so. If an item is NOS, it's stated in the description.

In approx 2 years of being a "real business" it is myself, one full time employee (Carrie) and one part time employee (Eric). I do still work a full time job, but hope to quit and concentrate on this solely within the next few months. But don't think this is part time for me.. I've been working 7 days a week well into the wee hours since I started this - and loving every minute of it. We're huge believers in turning orders around fast. We ship everything USPS and get a pickup at 1:45PM Eastern every day that is an express to the nearest sorting center (in Atlanta, GA) - so your order doesn't do any mucking about with the local mail carrier, then sit around the local post office and maybe 24 hours after it leaves my hands it is finally on it's way somewhere - you place an order by mid-morning there is a good chance it's at least one time zone closer to you by midnight.

But all this speed does come at a price - we do not have a published phone number. If any of us are on the phone, we're not getting orders out the door. So far, with a handful of very very very rare exceptions, people would rather have low prices and fast turnaround on their order rather than chat live with a person :) But, e-mails are answered quick, so don't hesitate to send questions that come up when you're placing an order.

We are just shy of 1000 different products on the website (http://www.PorkchopBMX.com) with more coming in every week (check the New Products section - I try not to let anything sit in there longer than 6 weeks). In fact, this week should be the week I receive a long awaited Dia-Compe order with a lot of stuff remade from BITD, including 730 brakes in 5 anodized colors.

Thanks for reading this big long mess :D

Justin

That's awesome Justin...thanks for sharing all of those details.

I hope the folks here will find lots of stuff to buy on your site.

One fun thing about RRB is that most folks here seem to appreciates all styles of bikes and they usually have one or two of everything in their garage. :wink:

thats right on, steve, and we dont turn our noses up if you ride something different! best of luck and success to you, porkchop!

I just purchased a headset from Porkchop through ebay last week, and I'll tell you what, that dude doesn't mess around when it comes to getting stuff out to you. I was very impressed with how quickly the item was sent. I'll definitely use him in the future. BTW, welcome to RRB Porkchop!

Welcome Justin!
I am a happy Porkchop BMX customer. Everything you have stated in your intro I know to be true. I have no doubt that you will continue to be sucessful in this business.
Cheers

One item that you may be interested in are 13/16" chromoly chrome plated seat posts - I just finalized a order to have some made in 400mm lengths (can be cut down as needed) in straight and layback versions. They'll be in stock around February.

These will be very cool. Seatpost options are lacking for old bike and it will be nice to see something new. I assume they will have a 7/8" top.

cman said:
One item that you may be interested in are 13/16" chromoly chrome plated seat posts - I just finalized a order to have some made in 400mm lengths (can be cut down as needed) in straight and layback versions. They'll be in stock around February.

These will be very cool. Seatpost options are lacking for old bike and it will be nice to see something new. I assume they will have a 7/8" top.

Actually, they won't... it's just too expensive to get them made that way - but I have the Wald shims that can be cut and used :)

Hi all - 44 new products (43 of them are new Dia-Compe items) just finished uploading - the easiest way to see the new stuff is the New Products category (I clean it out about every 6-8 weeks): http://www.porkchopbmx.com/NEW-PRODUCTS_c102.htm

Also, thanks for the checking out the site and for the orders - I've seen quite a few folks coming from RRB checking out the site :)

Justin is the best bright light to come into the BMX restoration world. He has helped so many of us bring back our BITD rides. Be it a full on show bike or a beater rider.

I am proud to say that I first met Justin a couple of years ago swapping Schwinn BMX's via Craigslist. So, he certainly is on target with the description in his short bio.

Welcome Justin, I'll be hitting your site soon. Gotta get a couple parts for my Torker 2, blue tires and a white seat. Looking forward to doing business with you.

Back