weight ?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I mentioned earlier, this bike is a bit on the heavy side. Around 100 lbs,accessories (such as the lock) included. There's no pic of me weighing it, yet. 'Cause I'm thinking of a proper way of weighing this 10' bike and making a picture at the same time.

I have the same scale as ifitsfreeitsforme posted above, got mine on Amazon.com pretty cheap, I just hang it from a nail in my shop to weigh bikes and parts, works well that way, but if you hold it and try to do it that way it can fluctuate from you moving while holding it.

The only bike I worry about weight on is my mountain bike. I use to be really happy with my Gary Fisher until I started riding my SS 29er, now when I get on my Fisher it feels like a dump truck.

ha, yoothgeye I understand the "dump truck" syndrome! that right there is what got me thinkn and created this thread.
Wimpy, is that a 12v car battery on the bottom tube of your bike? id say you you would almost be better off riding that thing onto a drive on scale to get an accurate weight.

Wimpy, is that a 12v car battery on the bottom tube of your bike? id say you you would almost be better off riding that thing onto a drive on scale to get an accurate weight.

No red_beard,it's an ammobox. I had a small 12 V battery in it (for my carhorn),but I took it out. I have to reconsider this horn-plan,'cause it has a flaw somewhere. :mrgreen:
'Bout the scale, my boss had one. But his business went down the drain,so....

would it be possible to use the bike frame as an air tank, weld in a bung for a schrader valve to fill, then plumb the frame to an air horn. you would get atleast one full blast at a time, but when the moment is right......

red_beard13 said:
would it be possible to use the bike frame as an air tank, weld in a bung for a schrader valve to fill, then plumb the frame to an air horn. you would get atleast one full blast at a time, but when the moment is right......

Yep,I've been playing with this idea for while,but I came to the conclusion that it was a bit too complicated. I mean,with all the components to install,I don't have the proper tools,knowledge and space anymore.
I've experimented with an air horn & pressure can, but it was not a succes. So I have to figure out,why the battery isn't strong enough.
Could be the wrong batterycharger or the horn demands too much power. One day,it'll work. :mrgreen:
But thanx for thinking out loud.

Be cool,bro. 8)

K, keeping this going. Weight out the rest of my bikes...

GT Dyno Cruiser 43lbs
IMG_20110407_183323.jpg

diamond frame project build 33lbs
004-Copy.jpg

And these two Free Spirits both weigh 35lbs each
035-Copy.jpg

036-Copy.jpg

next...... :shock:

ok, so that first bike I posted is my carbon fiber Kestrel, as equipped with a seat tool bag, a mini pump, computer and bottle cages.

6343581341_4957d005dd_b.jpg

Here's my steel Bridgestone RB-1 with same attached to it, only it has a full size frame pump, and aluminum cages, not cf:

6343588365_aa3ce70d9a_b.jpg

6343589949_69f73cbd05_b.jpg

then my aluminum BMC with cf fork and tools, mini pump, cf cages and computer. It's lost a few grams since this picture, I put white Ksyrium wheels on it:

6343577965_4c25e42767_b.jpg

6343579559_e21269c055_b.jpg

my aluminum Access mountain bike (full rigid):

6344332568_91b4a21aeb_b.jpg

6343586601_c55cf68e8d_b.jpg

I gotta weigh some of the beasts (rat bikes). Curious to see what they weigh.

1. Pick up your bicycle.
2. Step onto your bathroom scale.
3. Make note of the registered weight.
4. Put down your bicycle.
5. Step onto the bathroom scale.
6. Make note of the registered weight.
7. Subtract the little number from the big number.
8. The difference is the weight of your bicycle!

HAHAHA! yup, i went out and also bought a bathroom scale, and my hanging digital scale is in the mail! ifitsfree, nothing you own weighs more then 30lbs! lol that is my quest for a couple bikes, very nice pictures and very awesome line up sir.

KEEP EM COMING< this is fun to read n see all the bikes and how "big" they are! 8)

Nice chalk outline behind the bike there 55columbia.....thats a heavy bike too! Really like the seat and seat bag

i knew it. i knew i didn't want to know

hoodcruiser004-1.jpg

70lbs. i had weighed it a few years back and knew it was heavy, but i've since added a bunch of stuff. still my favorite rider though. i have 4 bikes like this with the lightest being about 37lbs. gonna see if i can mod it a bit but still keep it around 40lbs.

the other end of the spectrum

bikes001-22.jpg

about 24lbs. i never ride it though. wish i could make a stretch this light.

everything else falls in bettween. i think i'll have a lighter multigear stretch, but i need to put it back together. it was 39lbs when i weighed it last (back during the anything goes buildoff), but it'll gain some weight after the final assembly. hopefully not much.

i want to try and put a motor on something, but not this. it doesn't do bad for what i use it for. a ride on the riverwalk most weekends, about 15mls. just used it for the mayors healthy hometown ride which was about the same distance. i've had it together for a while so most of the bugs are worked out (broke the seat a few times recently. that was the last project), so it's a pretty smooth rider.

wow, 70 lbs. that's crazy. bet it rides nice though.

ok, here's a couple of my heavies:

The DX weighing in at 35.48 lbs:

7179870745_4ef08043c3_b.jpg

7179869641_82b3abbb0e_b.jpg

and the modded Vista mountain bike is 36.62:

7365096342_a7ecc6e4dd_b.jpg

7179867275_538fd22e78_b.jpg

Back