Week and a bit Cargo Trike build. (BUILD DAY 3!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I got a call from my Brother-In-Law the other day regarding a little project he had in mind for his dad.

His dad is getting on in years a bit and due to some health and medical issues has recently lost a bit of mobility, he mentioned to his son that he was thinking of getting a trike to be able to ride to the shop to get a loaf of bread, the paper and a bottle of milk, unfortunately the ones he was looking at were pretty low quality and rather expensive for what you get...

Long story short, my Bro-In-Law said 'leave it with me' and then calls me about building a tadpole (two front wheels) cargo trike, with a set of guidelines, must be able to fit easily through a standard doorway, no fiddly brakes or cables, single speed and coaster brake preferred and as compact as possible to allow for storage when not in use.

Cool! I have been wanting to build one for a while!

One small problem...

My Brother-In-Law will be coming down from Darwin to visit at the start of February for a couple of days, and want's to help finish it off with his dad one day while he is here. That gives me just over a week to have it designed, built, rolling, riding, tested and ready for paint! :13:

Did I also mention that I am part way through two builds in the current 'Off-Road-Build-Off'?
Did I also mention that I am nearing the end of a build for my wife?
Did I also mention that my current car runs out of rego in mid February, and I was going to use that as impetus to finally get my little Datsun on the road?

Anyway...

Designed it all up, it will be using 20" wheels all around for compactness, I already have a 20" wheel with a coaster that will suit perfectly, decided on a total width of 700mm, narrow enough to get through doorways but still wide enough to be stable, the main basket will not need to be that big as he only wants it for the bread, paper, milk runs, but I will make it big enough to carry a bit more if needed.

Here is the progress from day one, started with this:

24450955641_d836723888_z.jpg

Ended with this:

23906295363_d7a305f539_z.jpg

I may end up putting a longer seat tube and higher rear stays in to it, but want to check heights when it is on all three wheels first, if I make it too tall it would cause issues, so better to check first, that change can be done while they are here fairly quickly, so thinking I will wait till then to make that decision.

Next step will be to mount the wheels to the bottom of the basket frame and then attach that to the fork tube, hopefully I can get it that far tomorrow, then I can have it sit on its wheels for a proper look!

Luke.

2nd build day today! Half of the week gone!

24591311396_f2cc136411_z.jpg

24535259491_ff9257d6d8_z.jpg

Going well, but apparently my measurements were off somewhere, I need to lower the front of the frame 2" to get it to sit level. (That is why the rear wheel is up on that bit of frame)

I will fix that first next time and then figure out how I am bracing the lower section of the front end, it has to be removable with what was the stem...

We decided on the flat tray idea at the front instead of a built in basket, that way he can decide for himself what basket/crate/whatever he wants on there.

Surprisingly comfortable to sit on, I had a roll around on it and discovered I will need to add steering stoppers somewhere to stop it being turned too far and the front tires locking on the frame. Not sure how I am going to do them yet, hopefully I can make them integral to the removable stem bracing bit.

Luke.

Maybe you can put in a rod on each side of the front steering mechanism that hits the frame and prevents it from turning to far. Does that make sense anywhere other than in my head?

Maybe you can put in a rod on each side of the front steering mechanism that hits the frame and prevents it from turning to far. Does that make sense anywhere other than in my head?
That is kinda the idea I was thinking of too! :thumbsup:

Luke.

On hay wagons there is a stop on either side of the tongue to limit rotation. sometimes its on the tongue and sometimes on the front crossbeam.
runninggear.jpg

On this one the stops are on either side of the tongue.

Build day three!

Lowered the front 2", added the stays to the 'stem' and tapped some 8mm holes to bolt it all together when assembled. Pretty much done at this point, just needs a clean up, remove the old brake bosses etc, and paint. I don't think the tires rubbing on the frame at full lock will be an issue, you need to turn pretty hard before they contact. I will put some air in the tires and take it for a ride to double check though.

24033575913_e2161e301d_z.jpg

Found a decent set of tires in my stash, two flame treads for the front and a hookworm for the rear:

24033578273_004b832be3_z.jpg

They should roll nice and they are capable of carrying heavy loads...

Luke.

Al-right! Finally threw some tubes at it and some air and took it for a ride...

I am probably used to leaning in to the corners too much from riding a normal bike, but it took some getting used to, plus because it is made to fit through a doorway the front wheels are probably not as far apart as would be ideal. Fine for me, but not great for an older gentleman...

24673799491_e31d1d1a9d_z.jpg

He took it for a ride and got it up on 2 wheels a couple of times, actually did surprisingly well, but we made the decision that a standard 2 wheels at the back trike would be better suited, so I will be building one of them at some point.

As to this trike, I am not sure what I will be doing with it, I like it and I think with a cooler on the front and riding down at the park it will be a lot of fun, either that or I will just sell it cheap...

Luke.

Back