Wards Monark Silver King

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yours also has the battery for the headlight too. Thats very nice. And you have the tear drop pedals. Another great feature. Your accessory components are fantastic for this bike. Thats a unique thing to have so many pices still with the bike some 80 years later.
If you do any restore, be sure to get me some after pics. Thanks

Thank you for the info. Do you by any chance have any scans or detail pictures, to read the fine print?
I was also amazed by the compleatness of the bike. The story I have so far is the guy bought it, and he rode it around awhile, and shoved it in his attic. Then the guy who I bought it from, was helping the original owners clean up their house, and he bought it from him.

I won't restore this, but will be cleaning it up without affecting the originality as much as possible.

I have a book full of jc Higgins, elgin, and Hawthorne ads etc. I just took pics of those 3 pages. I'll work on scanning them so they are legible. May take a few days, I'll have to get my brother to scan for me. Anyway I'll try to get them for you. You can read the print well from the catalog. My pics werent that great.

It IS a true Monark Silver King...just because a different headbadge was put on it for sales at a different store doesn't make it any less a Silver King. A good example would be the BFG Schwinns...are they any less Schwinns?...I jues say'in...P 8)

Pappy, so did Monark build the silver king for the Hawthorne line and Hawthorne label their name Duralium?

I know it's pretty much identical to the badged Monark Silver King. I see the Duralium equal to the Monark Badged, maybe more valuable because ive seem fewer Duraliums than the Monarks.

Of course the hex tubes are more valuable and the ones with the built in speedometer in the gooseneck more valuable too. Nonetheless they are miracle survivors. They could have become a WWII airplane.

Thanks Pappy

Here are some more pictures of the bike, in better quality.

http://s475.photobucket.com/albums/rr11 ... er0/bikes/

There are 4 rivits on the rear of the front fender. The top set are for the fender brace, but what are the bottom set for? Mud flap/guard?
610.jpg

609.jpg

mattyfu said:
Beautiful find! Not to hijack the thread could someone give me an idea on the value of the ladies version? There is one local-ish to me for $300 that had the rear fender drilled for a rope/wire skirt guard that I haven't pulled the trigger on so far.

I paid that for my mens when I first got it and before my restore of it. Depending on the shape of the girls, Id say. Im not sure of the availability of the girls out there either. Not sure if there are a lot of them or less making them more rare and worth more?
Again a lot depends on the condition for me as far as 300 goes. Good luck

Nice bike, and correct me if I'm wrong but diddnt they make the uss macon&akron (zeppelins) from duralum? And the uss shenandoah?

1918 Ranger said:
Duncan, can we see some updated pics? Love to see what you've done. Thanks

1918 Ranger
+1...Pappy 8)

Back