Want to paint my rims?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Onyx Genesis. I want to paint the frame flat black and the rims flat, military green. But I'm a bit scared to tear apart my rims to paint them. I've never laced up and trued a wheel before. So how hard is it to do really? I'm pretty mechanically inclined, keep my 65 VW on the road. But is this something I can do? I thought about just taping up the spokes and painting around them, but I dont think I'll get good results from that.

if you can wrench on a 65 VW, you can lace up wheels, check out the instructions on sheldon brown's site. you can always bring them to your lical bike shop to get them trued if you get frustrated

Sounds like you could do it!
But I have seen every nipple masked off, paint applied to good results....

Mask it off...it will look fine! That's what I'm doing for my build off bike this year. :thumbsup:

Ok. Thanks. I think I'll try just masking one off first and see how it turns out. If I don't like it I'll break them down.

If you have the $ I can make the time. Torn down 100% and high quality PPG products used only.
If not tear them down. Don't half butt it! It isn't hard to lace, true, and tension them. BTW, the Sheldon instructions messed up my first wheel(I know of at least 3 others who laced a wheel wrong from his confusing instructions). Here's about the simplest way to lace a wheel that anyone can follow:

You can tension them with a guitar tuner(I have a tension gauge but have done the tuner before I had one). Sheldons site had a link on how to do that and Park tools also has easy to follow instructions on how to true(both lateral and radial) if needed.

That's a cool video. I think I decided that I'm going to paint the frame green. Then see how the gloss black rims look with it. Then decide.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

If anything just do one rim at a time so you can use the other as an example. It's actually pretty simple once you've done it a few times. If not just mask the nipples nice and tight, I've done that too with good results.

Its definitely something I want to learn. I like knowing how to do all things to my vehicles.

im in the same situation. ive never put a wheel together, never even trued one. the wheels i want to paint were a little wobbly so i wanted to take care of that before I decide if im taking them apart or not. I just bought a spoke wrench the other day and trued the rims for the first time. it was pretty simple. I just cant decide if I want to break them down or not. I want everything black except the nipples.

Back