Walker vs. Julesjunk Kids bike buildoff......

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I, julesjunk. A humble small minded midwesterner, do so challenge Walker, a high society bicycle guru east coast English bedwetting type, to an unofficial Kids bike buildoff.

Rules to follow shortly.
Walker, I'll leave it to you to set the time parameters, as well as deciding if you want our bikes to be "judged". I figure I'm a winner regardless, if I only finish the darn thing.

I'll post my before pics sometime tomorrow.

Regards,
Jules

I, Walker, of upstanding East coast salt of the earth lineage, proudly knowing much of bedwetting (hey I've got 3 kids) accept the challenge set forth by this "julesjunk" of questionable midwestern origin, who, parent of 1 knows little of the true nature of "having free time to work on bike proejects".

The Challenge has been set, the Challenge has been accepted, The Challenge has BEGUN!

I'm thinking anything goes, since that's the way my kids operate.

Walker said:
I'm thinking anything goes, since that's the way my kids operate.

I accept these rather stringent terms.....

Here is my candidate. A frog infested little Huffy, saved last fall from a trash pile. Also pictured is the "donor bike". Another curb find.

Exact theme not yet determined. Primary color will be yellow. And probably no frogs.....

022-8.jpg

025-3.jpg

021-5.jpg

024-5.jpg

Ok, I stripped the bike down, as well as the parts bike, obviously taking a commanding lead over my opponent early in the game. I wonder if he'll even make his presence known at all......

003-23.jpg

007-21.jpg

Ok, here is what i have for starter options. Schwinn Gremlin or a Hedstrom chrome looptail. Tucker is "compact" so i think i'll need to use the Schwinn for standover clearance. It also gives me a little more surface area for graphics, I'm going with a STREAMLINER LOCOMOTIVE theme on this one, Whoooooo Whooooooo. As cool as the Hedstrom is, it will just have to wait.

DSCN0122.jpg

I am considering going crank free and making a coaster bike to start. The boys like to tear down the hill in the yard with their ride-on toys so brakes might be important though..

I have several 12-1/2" wheels but all need some TLC.

thatismytruck said:
I'm having a hard time deciding who to root for. I'm from New England but lived in KCMO for 4 years and is my adoptive home town.

Well root for the good guy, of course....... ME!

What brought you to KC?

Walker,
As you stated previous, there's not a lot we can do to these little bikes, so I agree with your choice, as it opens up many possibilities for paintwork. ie lots of surface area.
Bring it on.....

Got another hour in this evening after the BEAN went down. Teaser pic, including a front tricycle fender I've decided to use. Had to weld in a nut to hold the fender.
Seems I'm leaning toward a beach cruiser look. Not exactly easy considering the chosen frame is all straight bars. Close on the name. Color is Yellow and Black, with the possibility of a little grey.
The pressure is off you Walker for a couple days, as I have to re-enter the real world. More to come saturday.
And finally, a pic of the first money spent. A can of inspiration, Sun yellow......

009-17.jpg

013-11.jpg

001-34.jpg

Jules, You're way ahead of me already. I pretty much worked on organizing my shop and brainstorming colors and some details.

I'm going with the Schwinn frame. Forks are going to be modified into a springer of some kind. Might buy a trick front sprocket.

Walker said:
Really tempted to put an airhorn on this thing but I'd probably regret it...maybe a brass bell then.
Since this will be my daughters first bicycle, I of course, have to put the classic bulb horn and thumb bell on it. Given the time, I might try to put a flare on them, but doubtful. Did you say springer?? I have no idea what that is.... :wink:

youll both regret the bells and horns!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
did that with my sons first bike and lets just say i had a migraine after 2 minutes :lol:
glad to see you both doing this and theres no better build than one for your kids :!:

Walker said:
.....I pretty much worked on organizing my shop..........

What does that mean????

Allow me to give you a brief tour of mine.......
pics taken about four days ago. And to think, in a previous "life", I was an organization freak.

006-18.jpg

007-22.jpg

012-11.jpg

010-8.jpg

037-2.jpg

009-18.jpg

Back