wacky idea for power

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the uk it's illegal to ride a bike with a petrol engine unless the bikes been tested at a government test centre, obtained a certificate, registered, insured etc. etc.

However it is legal to ride an electric bike no bigger than 250w. The only problem I have is that they take huge heavy batteries, have to be charged up and don't have an unlimited mileage.

My idea is to have a small combustion engine say from a model plane that runs a generator that supplies the electricity to the motor. In theory the bike would be powered by electricity and the milage would be however big your tank was.

I'm going to try and find out if the nazi regime transport people will let me ride it if I build it, do you guys think it's possible?

That's how locomotives operate, only with a large diesel powering the massive electric motors. I think there are a few autos done that way too. You will be replacing the battery weight with the motor and generator. It might still be too much weight, but the coolness factor will make it worth it. I think the amount of generator power you need to ride will exceed what a rc engine can provide. You may need a engine like a weed eater uses, 20cc or more. Then finding a proper generator will be a challenge also.

Do they have any stipulation as to HOW MANY 250W motors can be used? I know here in Indiana there is a law for mopeds that limits it to 49cc but no stipulation as to how many. I know a guy on Mopedarmy.com who built these crazy things.

blok.jpg

021.jpg

Gold Street Customs said:
I could just imagine how loud that is opened up :shock:

I saw it in person at a moped rally, it sounds like a swarm of bees ready to attack only louder......lol :mrgreen:

you should check out vid's of the t.v. show coloney on you tube.

built from junk, they powered all there lighting/power tools and eventually cars/trucks with smoke. thats right smoke.

they took an old power inverter, hooked it up to 2 alternators, powered by a rototiller which inturn was being fueled from smoke (ie metal gerry can full of wood chips in a 50 gallon burn bin)

brotha, anythings possible if ya set your mind to it. :)

I am USA so I have no idea if it would be legal where you are.

People have done hybrid versions of motorized bicycles (I've seen at least a couple online in the last few years) but the downside to it is that you end up paying for 2+ drivetrains. You need a gas engine, plus an electric motor rig of some sort, plus a permanent-magnet generator that will do well within the motor's RPMs. The concept does have a couple nice advantages though: you can put an electric front-hub motor on any bicycle there is, the gas engine can go anywhere you have room on the bike, and you do not need a electric throttle. The gas engine's throttle is the power control.

I kinda wonder how long a model airplane engine would last under much load though..... I know that the crank bearings are replaceable, but in the past I know that most of the smaller model airplane engines didn't use piston rings; the pistons were lap-fit to the bores (like .005" tolerances). This means that when the piston or cylinder wears out, you can't just replace the piston rings--you need to buy a whole new block and piston.
~

OSC that reminds me of the multi- engine tractor pullers of the 80's. 8)

X-RAY said:
OSC that reminds me of the multi- engine tractor pullers of the 80's. 8)
Oh yeah, I remember one from video clips I've seen had 4 Hemi engines.

I would say the best way is to find the old generator front hub and run less batteries. Or you can get the frame mount generators from headlight kits and have all of them running off your tires. Put one on each fork leg, and 2 or 3 on the rear wheel.

Back