Virginia Beach: Fun Fun Fun (pics added)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys,
My Wife and me are going to Virginia Beach in a week.
We were wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a good bike rental place, places to see, and/or good restaurants.
We've never been to the East Coast before and it looks like a great place!

We plan on doing a lot of laying on the beach and getting some warmth (after our long, cold winter:rolleyes:)
But my attention span is short so I'd like to find some other things to do LOL

Thanks ahead of time for Randy's tour last summer, that was a good start :)

Thanks for looking
Steve

I forgot to add, there is a mountain bike trail (easy trail, even for beginners) at First Landing state park. I used to ride there some back in the late '80s. You can also go to Fort story and tour the lighthouse.

Have fun, Rg

Steve,
I live at the ocean front and have some bikes you can borrow. Have Felts, Surly Pugsley, BMX Cruisers, Dynos, and Electra for the wife. You will have lots of fun riding on the boardwalk. I recommend Rockerfellers for dinner. Monday is prime rib night and they have an early bird special everyday before 5:30. Salad, entry and dessert for $14.99 Two good breakfast restaurant are Pocahantas and Nicks which has a special till 9:30am for $3.29. Also seafood Buffett at Captain George's but it's like $32 per person...... Ron

You guys are Great!!
It's so cool to be part of a great bunch of people:)

Thanks Jim, Colonial Williamsburg sounds like a great place to ride.
Thanks Dragnusa, you're right!

Okay Jim, I checked out first landing and it was near Fort Story that looks cool with walking and bike trails, cool!

Thanks Kingfish for the link and for giving them the heads up.:) They got NICE bikes and they are riding in the short sleeve shirts in Dec :eek::D

Hey Ronark. Wow, thanks for the offer. I 'd really like to see them but I can't put you out to borrow them. I would be afraid to wipe out but maybe we can rent a couple bikes and get a cruise in with you. And thanks for great restaurant ideas, they sound tasty. I've been looking at the weather and I think it may be a little drier later in the week.

Ron, you're awesome for helping out your fellow RRB person. That's the type of thoughtfulness that makes this site great.
I couldn't agree more!!!

Thanks Randy! We'll check them out.

Steve

Hey Steve.... is it just you and your wife coming?
How long are you staying?
Plenty of places to rent the cheap Chinese version of beach cruisers....just don't rent the 2 seater wheel trikes or the 4 seaters....unless you both have plenty of energy.

Busch Gardens is a great place to spend money but if you enjoy roller coasters and shows and can afford the entry fee then it's a way to spend all day and about 1 hour drive from the beachfront with no heavy traffic.
Lots of headboats for fishing, jetski rentals, paddle board rentals etc... at the oceanfront. Rudy Inlet has lots of options. Which is also near the Rockefeller restaurant which does have amazing food. Can be pricey there so try to hit those happy hours and the special peak hours. I have been told there is a second floor bar above the restaurant that has great specials.
Free Live music at at least 4 stages at night along the beachfront. Also, numerous entertainers along what is actually the main street running parallel with the boardwalk on Atlantic Ave.

I also have a few antique bikes that I can loan you as well. Nothing newer than the 60s. If it's just the 2 of you I think my matching set of 48 Columbia's are ready to ride. Need to lock them up though and take them back into your motel room.

Give me a call if I can help out. I'm in Norfolk, about 30 minutes from the beachfront.
Either way have a great visit.
757-751-0111
John

Last edited:
I rode there a few weekends ago, free parking is at the Virginia Beach convention center which is about 5 blocks from the beach, a quick ride a little longer walk, but it's FREE PARKING!

We brought our bikes and rode up and down the boardwalk and then over the inlet and to the aquarium which was pretty nice, but the cool thing at the aquarium is a high ropes and zip line course that you might want to look into doing!

You guys are Great!!
It's so cool to be part of a great bunch of people:)

Thanks Kingfish for the link and for giving them the heads up.:) They got NICE bikes and they are riding in the short sleeve shirts in Dec :eek::D

Love seeing this come together for your trip Steve. I knew we had some VAB guys out there, so I just searched and tried to help hook you guys up. Looks like it'll be a good trip!! RRBers ROCK!!!

Thanks a lot guys! Great recommendations John and Youthgeye. Free is good, but I'm hoping that we do very little driving since we are right on the beach :):) The boardwalk cruising sounds like a lot of fun.

Thanks for the offer John but I'd feel pretty bad if one of your cool bikes got wrecked or worse stolen.
Saying that, I hope we can get together and I can see them though.
Cheap cruiser knock offs - that will work just fine :)

I'll see what the "plan" is with my Wife and we'll see if we can get together.

Right you are Kingfish! ;)

Steve

I live at the oceanfront too. Shoot me a PM. Ive got beater bikes you can borrow. I think JD said you were in the Hampton Inn, I'm over on 15th so I'm pretty close. You actually have one of the best boardwalk places right next to you in Calypso and the Hampton Inn has a pretty decent Taphouse. Favorite places to go: Baja Cantina on 23rd St. Great fish tacos and nachos (Thursday is BOGO fish tacos and Tuesday is $2 off nachos and $2 margaritas). Across the street from there is Tautogs, my favorite restaurant at the beach. Go up a block or so and CP Shuckers has a great deck for hanging out on. Chicho's pizza at 29th and Pacific is the best in VB. You have a decent mexican place across the street from your hotel called Sidestreet Cantina, they have taco happy hour every night. Waterman's at 5th and boardwalk is kind of a must do just for their orange crush.

Last edited:
I took my youth group to Virginia Beach today, parked at convention center and walked to the beach (I could've dropped them off, but they need to walk). The weather was perfect, the water temperature was perfect, nice waves to play on and no undertow. Great day.

You guys are Great! My Wife and me didn't really have to make any plans because of all your suggestions :)

We are going to just kick back a bit on Sunday but I'll contact you guys then. I'm looking forward to hanging out with the VA Beach Gang.:cool:

Thanks for the precheck-out Youthgeye! It sounds perfect. I'm really looking forward to just relaxing at the beach and in the ocean :)

Steve

Latest posts

Back