Vintage Western Flyer Galaxy Flyer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came upon this bicycle in a garage of a house I am about to list, its a foreclosure and the conents of the home were about to be trashed. Its a Western Flyer Galaxy Flyer. It has a rear tray and has an old Schwinn seat with a large S on it. From doing a little bit of research it looks to be a 64-65 model. The bike looks complete, just needs new tires and cleaned up. The searial number is 8H039859. Any help on the exact year and price potential.
WesternFlyerGalaxy.jpg

cool bike I like the twin top tubes. As far as value goes, I'm not sure but have seen similar go for $75-$150 depending on how nice it is. Clean the rims up with some steel wool really good, get the chrome to shine up nice, clean it up, new tires, and you should pull $100-$125 easily.

It is a Huffy built WF. The first digit of a Huffy serial number represents the year of manufactuer. That would put yours as a '58, '68, or a '78. Judging by the cues on the frame, the chain ring, and the plastic "bullets" at the end of the top tubes I would wager it being a '68. Western Auto, like many of the department stores, went to various companies to source their bikes. I have two 20" Galaxy Fliers right now. One is a Murray built and the other is an AMF built.

Great find! Have fun with it!

Thanks for all of the help and advice. When I get the time I will get out some steel wool and new tires for it.

Tailwinds I am located in Fort Wayne Indiana.

TurboWop said:
Thanks for all of the help and advice. When I get the time I will get out some steel wool and new tires for it.

Tailwinds I am located in Fort Wayne Indiana.

Cool can't wait to see it done, I'm in Kokomo and hoard bikes so if you are ever passing through stop by and take a look at all my stuff, I'll sell most of it to you cheap....lol :mrgreen:

Metal Militia said:
2 speed rear hub. 8) what are the other bikes?

Yes it is a 2 speed.

The other 2 bikes are a dark green Grant Sports Man 3 speed I believe. Then there is an older yellow schwinn 5 speed. It's a touring style bike. I will get pics of them as well tomorrow.

I have to agree with Cameron on this bike being a '68, I have two '59 Golden Flyers and a' 60 Murray all complete bikes for a couple bills. Price only what someone will pay and how bad you need it.

outskirtscustoms said:
......clean the rims up with some steel wool really good, get the chrome to shine up nicely........

I have not been at this long at all, but I'll share my favorite technique for rusty chrome like yours. Brillo pads and water are great. Plenty of water and soap. Tear the pad into smaller pieces. Use them until the soap is gone, then pick up another piece. It does not require aggresive scrubbing, but gentle pressure...just enough to do the job. Have a towel handy to dry, then chrome polish to finish up. You will be surprised just how SHINY your bike is!

As far as price potential, those yellow-band two-speed hubs routinely sell for $100 or more on ebay if they are clean and in working order. The whole rest of the bike, after you clean it up, is probably worth almost as much as the hub by itself.

Latest posts

Back