Vintage bike prices are getting freaky

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just sold a collegiate for $175.00 and a Breeze for $165.00. I thought I hit the jackpot.
I have a matching pair of green Collegiates still available. :D

Baby boomers rock!

Looks like the last three are all from the same person.

They obviously watch Ebay.

The question is, will anyone ever respond to their ads?

I have a feeling that they end up coming down a lot.

Stuff is getting pricey though.

that is nuts ...

ive bought a few bikes from a resale shop and flipped em. all the bikes i had got from there needed wheels replaced, cables replaced, tires replaced, some got repainted and so on. i guess they found out one of those $10 bikes got sold for considerably more so now all the bikes are i want are $100.

i told them id give em the old price when they got tired of storing it for me :mrgreen:

Rat Rod said:
Looks like the last three are all from the same person.

They obviously watch Ebay.

The question is, will anyone ever respond to their ads?

I have a feeling that they end up coming down a lot.

Stuff is getting pricey though.
While it's true that bike values are increasing I feel that this hobby won't end up like the classic car market with it's spectulator driven prices. How many '71 Schwinns did they make compared to '71 Barracudas? My guess would be a whole lot more, so we still do have supply on our side.
In fact I kind of welcome the fact that I can sell an old bike at a decent profit, then take that money and buy a bunch more to play around with, keep what I want and sell off the others. With household costs going up it's nice to have a hobby that can support itself. Cheers.

GasHuffy said it right, I only wish my better half would understand that it supports itself.
I can pick up a bicycle for less than the cost of lunch for two and make a good profit.

Buy a couple for $30 and resell them for $500 each, put that money in the general household budget fund and then she'll understand. :D

Rat Rod said:
Buy a couple for $30 and resell them for $500 each, put that money in the general household budget fund and then she'll understand. :D
The only problem that I have with my wife pretty much understanding the hobby is at times she understands it too much. I picked up an early 60's Schwinn American on the cheap that I really like. Thing is she realizes the amount that I could flip it for and comes up with the age old saying.....How many bikes do you need for one butt? Cheers.

Mr. Farrell said:
CCR said:
Rat Rod said:
How many shoes do you need with only two feet? :wink:

oh man ... im just thinkin of the trouble i would get into if i said that outloud :lol:

please... DO IT!!!! i cant wait to see/hear the aftermath. :mrgreen:

oh im not worried about bodily harm ... im thinking about the bicycle destruction that would ensue :shock:

Mr. Farrell said:
oh yeah... good point. i can see a bike vs. shoes standoff. :) "put the bike down or the shoe gets it!!" lol.
Hilarious :mrgreen: It's true however that this is a self supporting hobby. Price wise, if you look at the right place, you are bound to find people who are clueless about what they have.

Has anyone postulated that we ratrodders might be partially to blame, with our 20,000 unique visitors, people are catching on to how cool old bikes are. Even the ones who don't see this site will see us riding or see pictures on flickr or something. And the worst is that people look to ebay for pricing sometimes, which then drives the price up, so people auction them for more, so people see that and raise the price, which goes on and on and on...

Oh well, I guess that's good news for us sitting on a pile of old steel, going to be worth more than it's weight in gold soon. ;)

Back