Vintage Bauer Tank

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this from a local gentlemen this morning. I can't find any information on the bike other than that it was made in Western Germany. (It says that on the bike anyways, thanks for nothing Google!) But anyways it intrigued me, the lack of information that is. The condition is great! Not too many flaws either. The paint is in great shape, no real rusting or pitting. Really simply green and some lambs wool will make this baby shine! The only things wrong with it are dry-rotted tires (They aren't original anyway), it's missing its grips, the chain isn't original and the wheel doesn't turn when you pedal. I hope that's a cheap and easy fix!

20110702100607.jpg

20110702100655.jpg

20110702100712.jpg

20110702100729.jpg

20110702100745.jpg

20110702101003.jpg

20110702101033.jpg

20110702101040.jpg

I saw one of those on my local C-list last year. But in much worse condition and highly priced. Here's what a quick search brought up on Bauer of West Germany.

http://www.cybermotorcycle.com/euro/brands/bauer.htm

"The L. Bauer & Co factory in Klein-Auheim started as a bicycle factory in 1919. In 1936 some small motorcycles with 75cc and 98cc SACHS engines were added to the production line. After World War II some models with SACHS and ILO engines were produced with great success. Then they designed an own engine, a 248cc fourstroker with the carburetor in front of the engine and the exhaust port at the rear of the cyclinder head. Some technical problems were never solved, and at the end of 1953 the complete motorcycle production ended."

http://campafreak.com/Vintage_ligthweig ... age82.html

"BAUER build in the small town of Klein Auheim (close to Frankfurt) in the post war years round about 100000 bikes per year. They covered the entire palette from city cruisers to race bike build with Reynolds 531 tubing and Nervex lugs. After Heinz Müller won the pro Word title in 1952 (Luxemburg) the top of the line model were referred as ‘Rad des Weltmeisters’ in English 'Bike of the Word Champion'. "

outskirtscustoms said:
I saw one of those on my local C-list last year. But in much worse condition and highly priced. Here's what a quick search brought up on Bauer of West Germany.

http://www.cybermotorcycle.com/euro/brands/bauer.htm

"The L. Bauer & Co factory in Klein-Auheim started as a bicycle factory in 1919. In 1936 some small motorcycles with 75cc and 98cc SACHS engines were added to the production line. After World War II some models with SACHS and ILO engines were produced with great success. Then they designed an own engine, a 248cc fourstroker with the carburetor in front of the engine and the exhaust port at the rear of the cyclinder head. Some technical problems were never solved, and at the end of 1953 the complete motorcycle production ended."

http://campafreak.com/Vintage_ligthweig ... age82.html

"BAUER build in the small town of Klein Auheim (close to Frankfurt) in the post war years round about 100000 bikes per year. They covered the entire palette from city cruisers to race bike build with Reynolds 531 tubing and Nervex lugs. After Heinz Müller won the pro Word title in 1952 (Luxemburg) the top of the line model were referred as ‘Rad des Weltmeisters’ in English 'Bike of the Word Champion'. "

Thanks a lot for that info. I really appreciate it.

What were they asking for that bike if you dont mind me asking? I had no idea what to even offer for this bike, because I had no ground to go by. But I just dug it and put in the best offer that I felt was still fair to the seller.

They were asking $500 American Picker syndrome....lol. I would say a reasonable price would be $50-$75 I would try to score it for $25 but I'm cheap like that. If you REALLY dig it I'd say you're safe at $100 or under. It is a cool bike.

If you clean it up, I'm sure someone would pay close to $150 for it :wink: Looks to be in pretty good shape, I'd like to see it all done up :D Cool find 8)

As a matter of fact I have a perfect vintage German lock that would be sweet on that thing to replace your American one on the seat..... :lol:

I think by the late 50s, the baur brand and several others were acquired by Union Cycle, who also made pedals. I have a Royce Union that's similar.
collection3008.jpg

Not much info out there on these! But they're dang cool looking! There's a Parkliegh version that's cool too. -Adam

Thanks for a pleasant and easy transaction yesterday, Paul. Good luck fixing it up!

outskirtscustoms said:
As a matter of fact I have a perfect vintage German lock that would be sweet on that thing to replace your American one on the seat..... :lol:

I would be interested in that. Do you have the keys and everything for it?

Rustinkerer said:
I think by the late 50s, the baur brand and several others were acquired by Union Cycle, who also made pedals. I have a Royce Union that's similar.
collection3008.jpg

Not much info out there on these! But they're dang cool looking! There's a Parkliegh version that's cool too. -Adam

Looks pretty awesome with the "rocket" tank on it.

___H said:
Thanks for a pleasant and easy transaction yesterday, Paul. Good luck fixing it up!

Thanks! Feel free to hit me up if you find any other bikes.

Spokeshave said:
Bro, the tank is sic on that thing.Great find.

I know. And the pictures don't even do it justice.

Here's a pic of the lock, I have a key that came with it but it fits loose so it is more of a novelty than a secure lock just to let you know It does work though. Great patina, send a PM if interested.

P4240034.jpg

I just got one of these bikes, mine is a three speed with only a front brake, im not sure what im going to do with it but its a cool frame. Sulley

006.jpg

007.jpg

I desided im going to make it into a rider, got some alloy wheels fixed gear comin for it, fenders not sure yet. Sulley

009.jpg

009-1.jpg

Latest posts

Back