V brake

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys.

Does anyone know an easy way to install/attach a "v brake" to a bike that wasn't designed to have one? I'm trying to put a v brake on an fairly new schwinn cruiser without cutting or welding the frame. I think it would be easiest to put it on the rear wheel, but maybe the front would work too. If you've got any ideas, please post them.
Thanks,
nuts n' bolts

How would you recommend installing a brake by swapping the fork? Finding a fork with a front brake? Sounds like a good idea. Please elaborate.

-nuts n' bolts

nuts n' bolts said:
How would you recommend installing a brake by swapping the fork? Finding a fork with a front brake? Sounds like a good idea. Please elaborate.

-nuts n' bolts
Just find a fork with the cantilever studs.

mastershake916 said:
Just find a fork with the cantilever studs.

Exactly. I did this with my old Columbia tandem, which was originally equipped with a flexy caliper up front. I found a nice generic chrome MTB fork with V-brake bosses at the LBS. The tandem is much less of a death trip now.

Check out clearance if you have fenders on your bike. By experience, this can be an issue where the top of the caliper, where the cable pulls, will rub or be obstructed by the fender. I've had to perform surgery a few times on fenders to take care of such a problem.

Latest posts

Back