V-Brake Adaptors

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, what are my options to mount v-brakes on my 62' schwinn corvette? I can't seem to find any adaptors for sale on the web

cgi.ebay.co.uk/AXA-V-brake-mounting-bracket-AXA-BICYCLE-frame-lock-/200546801977?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Cycling_BikeLocks_SR&hash=item2eb1855939

BSFL11901.jpg

https://www.customriders.com/prodshow.a ... 1001&sid=3

what about these? are these for old bikes without the mounts or newer bikes with the mounts?

Find a cheap department store suspension fork with steel legs and cut the brake bridge/brace off. Then you will have a brace to stop the frame from flexing (cause it will, a lot) and the brake mounts.

Beau said:
Find a cheap department store suspension fork with steel legs and cut the brake bridge/brace off. Then you will have a brace to stop the frame from flexing (cause it will, a lot) and the brake mounts.

I think that security might catch me before I can cut the forks off!

if your at walmart, the beake bridge will be facing the downtube. :mrgreen: if it were me, personally id go with discs if i was gonna change the whole thing. just remember that v-brake levers are differant, and although people probably mix-match all the time, be prepared for it to act funny the first time you use them. never done it myself, maybe it wont matter, but be ready just in case. i just dont wanna see anyone get hurt. :wink:

My buddy did this. But I would say he should have added more bracing and thicker dropouts. These old frames are not designed to be tough in the brake areas for canti-mounts or disk.

73831_703254346130_63904090_39296980_3273632_n.jpg

X-RAY said:
if your at walmart, the beake bridge will be facing the downtube. :mrgreen:

I have a picture of a Wal-Mart ad with the fork facing backwards. It is priceless.

Yeah I saw that on the how-to FAQ. The only issue is the welding. I don't weld...yet :D

Back