Uses for old wheel reflectors

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a couple of old Murray bikes yesterday and they came with the old style reflectors on the wheels. The ones that were screwed on versus the newer ones that are help on with plastic snap buttons.

When I removed them I remembered Paul (Uncle Stretch) wondering what you could do with them - since if you mess with old bikes very long you tend to get a pile of the things.

The old style ones were held on with a screw and nut - and the end of the screw actually held the reflector to the spoke.

When I pulled out the screw and nut I realized that it was the perfect size for using on holding the coaster brake strap!

So now I have some spare bolts and nuts for when I lose one - or when I build a bike and need one.

And Uncle Stretch had a good idea too. He plans to save up some of the reflector pieces and nail then to a board to make some reflectors for each side of a driveway.

IMG_2122.jpg

IMG_2123.jpg

or............. if you had enough of them you could completely fill up your wheels with them. What a show that would make at night!

I've been considering trying to chop some up into little shapes with a dremel. Little circles, triangles etc to have maybe slightly more cool reflective bits somewhere. A reflective diamond shape inside a pinstrip design or something.

RatRodDad said:
And Uncle Stretch had a good idea too. He plans to save up some of the reflector pieces and nail then to a board to make some reflectors for each side of a driveway.

like those?

click for bigger picture

Maddog and Fast Eddie I like your ideas. Rat Bling! Oh yea. A reflecter on a string. That would be a fun give away on pub cruise night. Shouldn't everybody wear Rat Bling? Give it to the riders and have extras to give to the "want to be riders" (people who show interest in our cool bikes), as a show of good faith and humor, maybe the "want to be's" will get cool bikes and join us, the more riders the more fun. Dangerous Dan

TheFlyingDingo said:
Or you could put them back on peoples bikes who allready took em off.
(Like, randomly on the street)

Love that idea! or take a step farther, when your friend is in the bar put as many on his bike as you can fit and see the look on his face when he comes out!

Kustom Kreator said:
TheFlyingDingo said:
Or you could put them back on peoples bikes who allready took em off.
(Like, randomly on the street)

Love that idea! or take a step farther, when your friend is in the bar put as many on his bike as you can fit and see the look on his face when he comes out!
that works too

Okay, you guys had a great idea - so here you go.

And if you like these they will soon be available on RRB - which in this case is Rat Rod Bling. Com - my new web site.

Like father, like son!! :lol: :lol:

IMG_2133.jpg

I saw a cool reflector at the swap meet last week. It was big and round. It looked exactly like a schwinn stingray rear reflector only it was about 8" diameter. I asked how much it was and the guy walked away with it and came back without it and said it was already sold and they were holding it for someone..... yeah right :roll: Does anyone know what it could have been from?

just wondering if i am the only one that has whacked one hard with a hammer against say a concrete floor. i wont give it away but wear eye protection and get a broom ready :D

Back