USE A TIRE GAGE!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Because I'm lazy and don't always have a tire gage I THOUGHT I had become pretty good at judging tire pressure by "feel". Well, I was wrong, yesterday I blew a tube and tire while filling it. Sounded like a cannon and my ears rang for 15 minutes. Gages are cheap, ears and eyes are hard to come by.

Good luck (and stay safe), Rg

i pump my tires up hard cause most of them loose pressure sitting around & my bicyclye pump has a pressure gauge tha my not work proplerle , so i just count the number of times i pump it & feel the tire to see how stiff it is !

Good advice reggedjim and I like how you are not bashful about telling the story. We all make mistakes but few are willing to tell of them.

Those darn tubes can sound like a shot gun blast when they blow like that. Happened to me once even though I did use a tire gauge. Case of cheap Chinese tube I guess. It just exploded while the bike was upside down on the back deck and I was coming out of the garage. Sure made me jump.

I've been using a Park floor pump with a built-in gauge for close to ten years now. When checked with a slide gauge, the Park gauge was basically accurate, or close enough. The Park pump finally gave up the ghost a few weeks back, so I bought me a SKS Rennkompressor. It, too, has a built-in gauge, but i'm mostly digging the wooden handle, cast iron base, extremely solid construction, and the fact that it's entirely rebuildable, with replacement parts available from the manufacturer.

So, yeah, if you don't have a gauge, go ahead'n splurge on a hott floor pump.... most of'm have a gauge built in....

Silca floor pump with gage here. My dad gave it to me for Christmas in 1985. Quality and serviceable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Years ago, I blew a tube topping off a soft tire on my bike at a gas station.
I think it was because so much volume of air flowed into the tube so fast it could not take it. At least a with my hand pump I can feel more resistance when tire pressure builds and the tube fills up with brief pulses not a sudden rush of air.

I have a couple of floor pumps that have the gauge built in, but that still didn't stop me from a blow out.
During BO8, I left my wheels out in the sun to dry after cleaning them. I went inside to eat lunch and BOOM. My neighbors and I thought there was a gas tank explosion or something.
WP_002120_zps712c5a0f.jpg

Silca floor pump with gage here. My dad gave it to me for Christmas in 1985. Quality and serviceable.

The Silca Pista was the other pump I'd looked at, but I ultimately went with the SKS b/c I like the color orange and "Rennkompressor" sounds so much tougher than "Pista." Friends of mine have had the Silca pumps, and they are very impressive. And, with most competitors failing to offer replacement parts, I don't think I'd consider anything but a Silca or an SKS....

30 years with the Silca, though; your Dad did right by you. :113:

Me personally I don't trust the built in gauges one bit. I always double check the psi with a digital.

That's understandable, but once you've double-checked on your pump a bunch of times and it's consistently close, I think you can trust it.... with periodic checks to make sure it's not gone out of whack.

so much obsessing over psi.

from a practical standpoint most tire/rim combos will tolerate a huge range of pressure, well beyond the variance of the cheapest gauge.

imho most 'big bangs' are the result of improperly installed tubes.

make sure that tube isn't trapped under the tire bead at any spot!

;-)

I use my garage compressor as well but I only give bicycles very short injections of air, wait a bit, give another little blast, repeat..... Taking my time like that I have not blown a tube while airing it up yet. The only one that blew on me was sitting in the sun like Kingfish mentioned happened to him. The gauge unit I use on my compressor is a vintage American made unit my Dad use to use many moons ago. It is very accurate though and I check it measurements every year to make sure it's still reading accurately.

So what is the PSI range that you recommend. My middle weight I think I pumped them up to about 45psi.

Depends on a lot of variables but the main one is what is the PSI recommendations on the side wall of your tires. Some rims have PSI recommendations as well like some of the Worksman wheels.

from a practical standpoint most tire/rim combos will tolerate a huge range of pressure, well beyond the variance of the cheapest gauge.

;-)

I would agree with this for recently mounted tires, but this one had been on for about a year. I'm fully convinced it was all my ham-fisted fault for not checking pressure. I don't think anyone obsesses over the psi... until they blow one!

I have heard the stick type gauges that pop out are not real reliable. It was recommended to use the round gauge type.

I have heard the stick type gauges that pop out are not real reliable. It was recommended to use the round gauge type.

In my experiences with them it depends on the quality of the stick gauge. I have some older American made stick gauges that are accurate. Some of the overseas units I have are not accurate or consistent. Also I have a overseas brass bodied dial gauge that is the worst tire gauge I have ever owned.

;-)

I agree that most blow-outs are caused by improper installation of tubes... and while I don't "obsess" over PSI, I do like to run higher pressure. You're right that most rims and tires will operate under a very wide range, but when you weigh 250lbs (I'm down to 241lbs as of Monday!), if you're on the low side, you'll pinch-flat, AKA "snakebite", if you hit any potholes or other irregularities (roots and such, squirrels... whatever bumps i n the road you encounter...) I like to be within maybe 5psi of the recommended max, and if I'm going to play it that close, well, I'm going to wanna play it safe.

Beyond that, I have a tendency to experiment on stuff, such as how different rubber performs under different conditions, with the most obvious variables being terrain and pressure. What's the point of buying a 26x2.3" tire that can take 80psi, if I'm not going to pump it up to 81 before going all hooligan all over the neighborhood? It's not exactly obsessing, it's just a fun aspect of owning, riding, and maintaining a bicycle.

Depends on a lot of variables but the main one is what is the PSI recommendations on the side wall of your tires. Some rims have PSI recommendations as well like some of the Worksman wheels.

Excellent point, and that's why I tend to stay away from the Worksman steel wheels, and similar steel wheels in general. I think Worksman says nothing over 50psi? Might even be 45psi. And yes, under my incredibly high-tech scientific garage conditions, i did find that the hook will lose the bead in the upper 50's (psi) with a cheap Kenda cruiser tire. I tend to run alloy MTB rims (usually Sun products) b/c PSI simply isn't a factor there.

i alway pump up my new tube before instaliing it to check for deffects &t hen deflat it till it's slightly round before in stalling in to tire !

This is excellent advice; inspect the tube for problems beforehand, and it doesn't hurt to take a very close look at the tire, too. In my more naive days, I took a wheel in to the shop to be trued, but the wheel was pretty close to perfect and the tire had an incurable wobble in it.... The wrench on-duty was very cool to point that out, rather than take my money needlessly. Since then, I've found lots of cheap tires with similar defects, plus I've found that quality tires can form bulges and wobbles if they're stored improperly....

Latest posts

Back