Updating a Schwinn Typhoon fork

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an old 62 Schwinn Typhoon Straightbar that I converted to a three speed. The front end feels a little weird some how, not as stiff as other bikes I have ridden, like it has more side to side play than it should. I took apart the the headset assembly , cleaned everything and repacked it with fresh grease. the bearings looked fine. Still feels weird after I tightened everything up. I ride it all the time and I am starting to think that I would like to have a front brake so maybe I should just get a new fork. Either a BMX style with posts for cantilever brakes or a crappy suspension fork to take up a few bumps. Anyway I have no idea what kind of dimensions I need to order a new fork and or a new headset. I have searched this forum and the Schwinn site with no luck. If someone could let me know the specs or even just tell me what to measure on my existing fork I would really appreciate it. I am also looking for ideas for a good replacement fork. Thanks.

Another thing that will effect the rigidity of the frnt end is the front hub. If the hub is loose it will make the front end feel sloppy.
Stem height can also make things feel weird. If the stem is too far out of the steerer tube it can flex.
If you want to replace your fork you need to measure the steerer tube on the existing fork. Schwinn middleweight forks should be about 6-5/*" if I remember correctly. If you use the same headset then the steerer tube will need to be the same (Pretty common size). If you use a different headset then you will need to check the stack height of the headset.

Best thing would be to find a 3 speed middleweight Schwinn fork on ebay. They were fairly common, they have a cast-in hole for a brake. Generally, most 60s Schwinn middleweight bikes had the same head tube length. There were junior size, and King size frames, but they were far less common. Also keep an eye on the classifieds here, someone may have one for sale. I'd say if you can pick one up for $20 or less, you're doing good. ~Adam

I checked the front hub and its is tight, I dropped the stem down and that significantly changed things for the better. 2Manybikes, you were right on, It is much stiffer now. As far as a new fork, I can't find a middleweight fork on ebay with a brake hole. There are a lot of forks from lightweight models, like a Breeze, that have brake holes but I am not sure if the fork is too narrow to fit an s7 rim/tire and fender. As far as getting a new fork, I measured the length of the the steerer tube at 6.5 inches. Does that sound right? As long as I get a a 160mm or so steerer tube length I should be ok? Does anybody know if I can use the reuse the existing bearings? Can I just buy a 1" threaded fork and it will fit right in the old bearings or do I have to change out the bearings, races and cups. I remember something about Schwinn headset bearings being weird, does anybody know? Thanks

was just wondering if your typhoon had an aftermarket wald stem and not the original cast peice. the wald units are easy to id if you look under it you will see that there is a gap that goes down the quill. pics would also help

It has an original Schwinn stem, solid hunk of metal, no gap down the quill. I got a set of Tektro calipers for cruiser tires with fenders on ebay. So now I just gotta come up with a fork I can mount a front brake on and some brake levers.

Back