Unwholesome Colson

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Yeah! I finally picked up a prewar bike. And for cheap! It ain't pretty, but it is mine. This will be an adventure. It is soaking in WD-40 right now.

Gotta love the paint job. This is the first bike I have ever wanted to paint before i stripped it! What were they thinking? I suspect they were on drugs. :?

2mhd5ib.jpg

Yes. That Troxel seat is pink. Did Troxel ever make a pink seat? That will probably change.

2nlwoqo.jpg

What's so great about a skip tooth sprocket? :D

2zg4shd.jpg

I know it's a Colson. Any more info? Year? How the heck do you date one of these things?

Wish me luck. I'll be happy just to get this thing apart without cutting tools.

Thanks, Hooch. I have seen that catalog before. Never noticed the "code", however. Bakery? Bamboo? Ball? Any idea of the story behind the names?

I'll be hitting you and Sensor up for parts soon enough! I just need to sell off a couple of bikes to buy some parts to sell off a couple of bikes to buy some more parts. You know how that goes.

slacker said:
Yeah! I finally picked up a prewar bike. And for cheap! It ain't pretty, but it is mine. This will be an adventure. It is soaking in WD-40 right now.

I agree. Uncle Stretches "No Patina Rule" applies.

Cool find. The pink seat may just be faded leather

Sandblast/glassbead blast....wire brush on a sidegrinder......any kind of paint remover .....dynamite. There is a beautiful bike waiting underneath that prewar rat paint just waiting to be released from spray bomb heck. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: luv a colson

Yes. That Troxel seat is pink. Did Troxel ever make a pink seat?

Not that I know of, but they could have made a white seat purchased by a guy who loved red pants.

As far a the skip tooth chain is concerned, I like the feel they have under the feet vs than a regular chain, but that might be subjective.

Ok I have several skiptooth bikes and I cant notice any differance when I ride them. Maybe I'm too old and deaf to hear it ,but the only noticable differance I can find is the fear of a 60 year old chain breaking and ruining something I might need. :oops:

Good score! I picked one up off the bay. I cant wait to fix it up.

Uncle Stretch said:
Ok I have several skiptooth bikes and I cant notice any differance when I ride them. Maybe I'm too old and deaf to hear it ,but the only noticable differance I can find is the fear of a 60 year old chain breaking and ruining something I might need. :oops:
Yeah...
thats why i dont like skiptooths...
it doesnt feel very awesome

Back