unofficial favorite chainring tread

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have always liked all the different chainrings out there that we have on our bikes or decide to swap out onto our bikes. each manufacturer has their own different design and the chainring pattern is not only one of the first things i notice when looking at a bike, but it has also helped me id some bikes and get some idea of what i am riding.

so lets see em!!! whats your favorite chainring?
IMG_0735.jpg

48tooth off an early jc higgins cruiser. possibly a 62".
IMG_0763.jpg

48tooth chainring off a 59' amf roadmaster. black crankshaft added later but the rings are factory. love the directional pattern, and the next year's ring was the 5 star style.

anyways, can't wait to see what you all come up with. are you game?

stepper said:

Rats!, didn't get to this post on time! :D
So I'll second that.

Seen one of these turned into a staff, used at the invocation at the Lake Pepin 3spd Tour.

Have to agree, the Rudge and the Roadmaster Stars are some of my favorites. Alot of the old bikes had a style that's unbeatable by todays manufacturers!. True classics!
I usually go to ebay or BMX sites to find some crazy sprockets. The BMX/Freestyle junkies have some of the best stuff around! Just make sure that they fit the chain you're planning on using. I alsowish that their tire styles would be sold in larger sizes, they've got some wicked tread patterns!
My personnal opinions ... I can't stand the style that Schwinn used on the Stingray Choppers! Not too fond of the Mag Style either.

One of my faves is the Westfield 'coffin' sprocket, seen here on my Reggie McNamara Motobike. Also have one on my 41 Elgin. ~Adam
collection3011.jpg

Hooch, Here's Rodentia's pic during the build. I'm glad that her chaincover made such a lasting impression!
2007_0224whatever30010.jpg

I think Gigs re-organized my pics. :? I had a hard time finding them in our album.
Thanks for remembering the blade,
Chainy

love the saw blade ring on the bike above, rodentia.? that bikes rear dropouts and seatpost sticker looks so familur to the girls bike cruiser frame that had those huge rear dropouts too, and they called it a wester flyer. is that what that is? wish i still had that bike, woulda made a nice project for my wife.

Chainsaw said:
Hooch, Here's Rodentia's pic during the build. I'm glad that her chaincover made such a lasting impression!
2007_0224whatever30010.jpg

I think Gigs re-organized my pics. :? I had a hard time finding them in our album.
Thanks for remembering the blade,
Chainy

I'm putting a bike together for my architect/builder, this is a great idea, gonna have to steal it 8)

some very cool rings. occasionally i think it'd be cool if someone put together a book of different chainrings used by all th edifferent manufacures from pre war thru present time, or till at least the 90's. seems like one of the easiest characteristics for bike identification.

Back