Unlikely Hawthorne Find

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Unlikely Hawthorne? Only because I lost the number for a few weeks! :roll:

So this guy leaves a telephone message for me several weeks ago. Says he has an old Hawthorne for sale, and was wondering if I was interested. I took down his info, and promptly lost it. While going through some things in my desk today, I spotted the note and decided to see if it was still available. I figured it was probably a 60's Hawthorne 3 speed, but perhaps worth the trip.

I gave the guy a call and...

1hfghx.jpg

a1pjs6.jpg

New tubes - $9.50 plus tax at Walmart
Lube and adjust chain - 5 minutes of your time
Remove duct tape from sit - 1 minute

Lifetime of rat cool factor - PRICELESS

It pays to clean you desk!

Ride and enjoy a true survivor bike with a cool factor of 10 out of 10

Joe

yeshoney said:
New tubes - $9.50 plus tax at Walmart
Lube and adjust chain - 5 minutes of your time
Remove duct tape from sit - 1 minute

Lifetime of rat cool factor - PRICELESS

It pays to clean you desk!

Ride and enjoy a true survivor bike with a cool factor of 10 out of 10s

Joe

Tubes? Lube? Why? This thing rides like a dream! Possibly the best vintage rider I have. The springer is very cool. Lots more spring than other designs I have ridden.

I bought this bike from the second owner. He must be in his early 80's. The first owner was his next door neighbor, who just threw it out one day... roughly 40 years ago. The second owner took it apart, cleaned and re-greased everything. He said he would grease it up and ride it a couple of times a year, "Just for kicks and to get a rise out of the neighbors."

Man, if I still lived in Wisconsin I'd be hoping and waiting for you to decide it was time to sell that one. I'd absolutely love to have an older bike like that. BEAUTY! 8)

Breakpetal said:
Very, very nice.

I expect to see you riding it this summer.

I need to organize some vintage rides this summer. East side? Maybe include Malt House, Crystal Corner, Revolution (for movie night) and the Wisco? Perhaps we can try to hit a music venue? Knuckel Drager are into cruisers. Same with the Willy St tattoo artist crowd.

Notice the beer theme?

Latest posts

Back