Unlikely Crank Failure While Riding My Blackhawk

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Anybody ever have this happen before? There I was, riding up a parking garage ramp and WHAMO...foot plant and a near wreck. I thought my chain broke but once I caught myself and had a look...

I didn't take a look at that the night it happened. That's nasty. You're lucky you didn't get really injured, especially since you were already nursing a sore shoulder.

speaking of... how is the shoulder?

The shoulder is pretty bad actually. Went to see the doctor yesterday and long story short, I'll be out of service for a while.

Have always wondered about this:

2013-08-21_001.JPG

now we know :) Glad you weren't hurt!

Seen that plenty of times on both steel and aluminum cranks. Sometimes it just happens, but in most cases there was some abuse in the past. Often we don't realize that most vintage balloon tire bikes were designed for and sold to children, add decades of riding and maybe some 200 lbs+ riders and .... happens.

And Danimal is 6 foot 14 inches and weighs the same a 2 1/2 sacks of flour. Powerful!! :p We should send our cranks to him for proof testing. 8) Gary

and this happened within minutes of him eating a BIG Hamburger made with mashed potatoes and gravy within the burger, along with other fixings's. looked like a 20# burger.

Ouch! :shock: Good thing your alright...that could have ended badly.

Maybe c.p. odom is right about the abuse. That could have been some kids trick bike :eek:

Ive never actually seen it happen but know people its happened to. Most of them were kinda skinny. Glad alls well. As for the shoulder its a pre-exsisting injury that I'm sure you new might get reinjured during a bike ride. Kudos to you for riding anyways! 8)

ilikebikes said:
Ive never actually seen it happen but know people its happened to. Most of them were kinda skinny. Glad alls well. As for the shoulder its a pre-exsisting injury that I'm sure you new might get reinjured during a bike ride. Kudos to you for riding anyways! 8)

I actually tweaked my shoulder somehow late last week. First time ever. No idea what I did to it. It was a little tender before the ride, the next day it was really sore. Such is life I suppose.

It was a great ride with the crew.

Dan I was happy to discover last night that the other mechanical failure from that night, my Seminoles rear hub, was just the sprocket come loose. Tightened the lock ring and she's good to go.

looks painful... at least it wasn't whilst braking approaching an intersection or something... coulda been much worse :shock:

Back