Unknown Black Cruiser(Jamis Earth Cruiser?)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked this up yesterday at one of the local antique shops. The price tag read "standard bike", which I thought was a funny description. Anyway, There is a serial number, but no other markings as to who manufactured this one. It seems obvious it's an '80s cruiser and the only guess I've got is that it's a Giant. My dad's got an '80s Giant-built Schwinn that had wheels similar to these with the 12 gauge spokes. Thought someone here may have an idea what it is based on the the stem, wheels, sprocket, and fork? Doesn't really matter that much, but I do like to know what I'm riding.

191099bcfca14819aa02041768e55c8a.JPG

141c6845c5e04f9da046020d8a4e0bb1.JPG

65df3cba175c4b2c948670aad78742c9.JPG

Re: Unknown Black Cruiser

I'm going to guess an 80s Diamond Back cruiser....but that's just a guess. :wink:

I had the female version of this and it came with Araya 7X wheels, but mine had the little diamond cut outs in the fork though.

That is an awesome find with the wheel set, stem, seat post clamp and forks all perfect for a Klunker. :wink:

deorman said:
It looks like a Pacific Schwinn, except the sprocket and the stem, the fork is probably an add-on.

The '80s Schwinn(built by Giant) my dad owns has the Schwinn head badge screwed in place. This one has no holes in the head tube. That's why I thought maybe it was a Giant.

Rat Rod said:
I'm going to guess an 80s Diamond Back cruiser....but that's just a guess. :wink:

I had the female version of this and it came with Araya 7X wheels, but mine had the little diamond cut outs in the fork though.

That is an awesome find with the wheel set, stem, seat post clamp and forks all perfect for a Klunker. :wink:

I would love to find out for sure if this is a DB. My first "real" bike was a Diamondback Viper and man did I love that bike. Lasted me for many years until I gave it to my younger brother when I started driving. After that I bought a Diamondback mountain bike. And I'm pretty sure my Viper had that same sprocket on it. Any idea how I could figure this out?

Thanks 8)

Rat Rod said:
Here's that DiamondBack I had...it may have even been made by Giant back then.

da1a_1.jpg

Mine's got the same sprocket, chainguard, seat, possibly even the same tires. That's almost enough for me to call it a DB. 8)

Can anyone else shed more light on this?

So...my wheels look like yours, but instead of Araya they are Kinlin 26x1.75-2.125 made in Taiwan. I guess they're cheaper copies?

Interesting....never heard of that brand, but they do look like Araya 7X knock offs.

If Giant was making these bikes then they definitely could have been rebadging them for different companies.

No matter what it really is....it's definitely a cool cruiser with strong 80s BMX influences. :wink:

Rear dropout is diferent- the rack/fender mount is further back on the black bike.
Also the chainguard looks shorter on the black with a different mount.

Perfect bike to start a build from.

Well, I guess it doesn't matter what this thing is. The plan is to tear it down, repaint the frame gloss black, clean and re-grease bearings and coaster brake, and clean up the chrome. Then I think I'll hit the rims and maybe the fork and clamp section of the stem with some of that Krylon X Metals paint for the annodized look. I'll probably replace the tires and for sure the pedals. Also need to come up with my own name for this so I can cut some decals and possibly clear coat over them. Want this to have some BMX style for sure.

Anyone have a source for those wide, low profile BMX handlebars that won't cost an arm and a leg?

jmt788 said:
Looks like an older Jamis Earth Cruiser to me.

Thanks for the heads up. :) I did a Google search and some of the early Jamis Earth Cruisers look just like this including the chrome BMX-style fork. Maybe I'll send an e-mail with the serial # and pic off to Jamis and see if they can help.

Is This it???

A Fior'e Oceanside, steel rims. 18 inch frame. This is my find.
S5032256.jpg

S5032258.jpg

S5032257.jpg

Re: Jamis Earth Cruiser a.k.a. Unknown Black Cruiser

I got a reply back from Jamis, but not sure how much stock I'd put in their ID.

Thank you for your inquiry to JAMIS BICYCLES dated June 2, 2010 regarding your interest in determining the model year of your Earth Cruiser. We would like to inform you that from the photo this looks to be an Earth Cruiser from the mid 80s. The MSRP of this model during that time was around $200. The bicycle looks to be in supreme condition as well. We wish you many great rides ahead while onboard this great all around classic and if you have any other questions about this or anything else feel free to contact us again.

Yours very truly,
JAMIS SUPPORT

Back