typhoony

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
here is the carry over from fresh finds
3spdschwinn.jpg

arrived via fedex
took it out of the carton and cleaned and greased the headset
the BF goodrich s7 tires hold air!!!
the Indicator spindle chain wuz broken at the the hub nut so i stuck a dental pick in the hole and twisted counter-clockwise and removed the shaft and half the chain. Then i layed the bike on its side, shot lube in the hole and droped a new one
Indicatorspindlechain.jpg

(from sheldon brown's shop) in the hollow axel nut twisted the chain like a pig tail to tighten it.
i threaded on the shifter cable end and adjusted it with the shifter trigger in 2nd gear to show the shaft end in the hollow nut viewing hole.
on the test run i had 1st and 2nd gear but only could go into 3rd if i tugged on the cable.
So, i moved the cable clamp forward about a 1/4 inch and adjusted 2nd again.
now i have 3 speeds
plans include a 23 tooth rear cog, lucky seven sprocket, wider bars, ashtabula stem, fat pearsons seat and stainless fenders.
oh and a trifecta headlight; hi beam, low beam AND a *horn* :D

Re: typhoony gettin Phaaat

here is the wider bar installed
compare to stock unit
Wideishbars.jpg
the bars are not so wide that i couldn't get by with the stock cables.
trimed the ends and snot lube through the caseing
and side view gives, stingray stem, seat and post install
3spschwinn.jpg

those are diffrent grips off of a suburban
the comfort quotent of this ride has gone up demonstrably :D
this is the new porch bike
the old Klunker has been banished to the shed awaiting a set of S2s and a skip tooth drive train

here are some add ons
wald rear rack/dbl basket, lucky7 sprocket, large simano rear cog, stainless fenders
IMG_0157.jpg

problems

i was greasing the front hub when i noticed it was cracked
IMG_0153.jpg

I'll haveto bend and hog out the mount holes for the rack to mount to the seat clamp
IMG_0154.jpg

find the chicken

find the missing front rack, er chicken, i have a rack now!
the light needs high low bulbs and hidden horn button

photo1-1.jpg

the chicken is behind the zebra

Can you elaborate a little more on how to adjust the hub.. I have a shimano 3 speed coaster brake hub and seems I have 3nd and 2nd but not 1st. Too much tension? And what do you mean when you say you adjusted it in 2nd gear. It would be nice to have this thing shifting properly. Thanks

My old Shimano 3 speed adjusts by lining up second gear. Shifter in second, then adjust the cable until the indicator on the axle meets second on the indicator.

Another way is to put the shifter in third, then adjust the cable so it has a tiny bit of slack. Then ride through the gears, if you can't get first (low) gear, tighten up the adjustment slightly and try it again until you get first. If you go too far, the other gears won't be where you want them. Once you have it adjusted, make sure you use the locknut to keep it.

ZbikerD said:
Can you elaborate a little more on how to adjust the hub.. I have a shimano 3 speed coaster brake hub and seems I have 3nd and 2nd but not 1st. Too much tension? And what do you mean when you say you adjusted it in 2nd gear. It would be nice to have this thing shifting properly. Thanks
the instructions i gave were for a SA hub looks like a good samaritian gave you the way to go on a Shimano :)

I will give it a try. Thanks. Bike looks sweet by te way. I like the idea of the large rear sprocket. Bet it helps with wheelies lol.

ZbikerD said:
I will give it a try. Thanks. Bike looks sweet by te way. I like the idea of the large rear sprocket. Bet it helps with wheelies lol.
as ive said before i'm not compensating but every little bit helps

laced and installed front wheel on a RRB classifieds hub
fixed front brake when it snapped off while trying to straighten it. it had been smacking the frame every time the bars went full left.
I hogged out a new genaric sunlite arm and mounted it with the rest of the old schwinn caliper.
got a wald front rack and put it on
Heated and bent hogged out rear rack arms to mount to longer seat clamp bolt
needs new S7 rubber, brakepads and a fender mount
hualerftrack.jpg

Looks really nice 8) ...I like all of your additions.

How does it ride with the new chainring and bigger sprocket?

sleepy said:
Looks really nice 8) ...I like all of your additions.

How does it ride with the new chainring and bigger sprocket?

i can haul the trash down down our hilly 1/2 mile dirt driveway with out stoping or standing on the pedals
pretty good for a fatboy
put some new 26 X 13/4 X @ Black walls on it
next is some L fender brackets

Back