Two finds I need identified Suburban Schwinn/old Diamondback

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found two rides in the alley

Do any of yall have any reference pictures of this first one, Im wanting to get something close to the original parts. The tires are "Farmer Johns cousins" never heard of them.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The second bike is a old Schwinn, all the bearings seem good, has a multi speed hub. Is it worth fixing up? The seat is made of springs not a pan- What year do yall think? How many speeds?

mikesbikes36 said:
that first one looks like a big goose ????
moosegoose, What is the serial number? That will help alot if it is a mongoose

F112373 on the chrome one, I put the neck and saddle on there. Need to find a pix of the original configuration. Also this one has 26" wheels

The chrome bike is an '81 Mongoose KOS cruiser.
Tioga Farmer Johns and Farmer Johns Cousins were popular MTB tires in the early 90's.

Definitely a KOS.

Here's the one I used to own.

Frame and fork is worth about $400 - $700 if it's in good shape.

DSC_0017-1.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0023-1.jpg

DSC_0023.jpg

/\ wow /\

It has a 3 piece crank that uses three hex nuts holding the bearings in.
"Sugino Japan BMX 42" 2 piece sprocket and matching hubs.
A machined aluminum handlebar

So its part Diamondback
Part early 90 MTB
Part Koss cruiser

Dont know what direction to go with it.

Just for reference...I paid $400 plus shipping for the frame and fork pictured.

The fork was powdercoated black and I had to have it blasted and chromed.

Looking at the pics it seems that around $400 would get the missing pieces; stem, bars, grips, decals, tires, pedals. and you'd have a complete OG bike worth somewhere in the $800-$1000 neighborhood.
What you have pictured is worth around $700+ parted out. (If those are Diacomp mx 1000 brakes in good shape thay can bring $75-$100 each.
The bullseye wheelset in good shape = $300+-
Cranks = 75+-
Frame, fork $450+-

My suggestion leave it as is, make it a fixie, and post your new build pics on the bmx collector sites just to irritate them.

TheFlyingDingo said:
If you wanna sell that seat-Lemme know!

I bought two schwinn saddles. One is the glitter red with white stripes, The other is gloss padded black with chrome stripes. I got them both on ebay for under 12 I think. I actually bought awhile back before I got back into bicycles, I told my wife I wanted them because they were sweet looking.

Back