Two bikes I built

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The first one is mine, I looked high and low for a 50s balloon bike I could customize(this was in 2004-2005) and the closest thing was a frame in New Orleans in a second-hand store that wasn't for sale. Anyhoo, I bought this POS for $20, maybe it was $30?, from this place the week before Katrina hit. It was not rideable and I tried to get this hippy dude down on the price. It started out as a mid-70s Huffy? with an internal three speed hub.

000_0437.jpg

000_0436.jpg

The frame was straight and I started stripping it down, while the tail end of Hurricane Rita was pounding around us outside, trying to keep the cost down and things as simple as possible. Ideally, I wanted straight mountain bike forks with no curve to them, but at the time, I wasn't saavy enough to find any or even know if they would work with this old frame, bearings, etc. With it stripped, I had a better idea of what I was working toward at this point.
000_0485.jpg

I stripped all the poop brown paint off and welded up the brake caliper holes and filling the top of the forks. I painted it myself with auto paint and used three coats of clear with pearl gold mixed in. I sourced most all the parts from a place in town and some through places on the internet. I removed the three speed rear-end and went with a coaster brake assembly, again I wasn't adventurous enough at the time to try to work with the three speed assembly and some cool shifter. I very carefully welded a dog leash chain to the front area around the forks as I didn't like the striped look of the forks. The rear rack I bent down a little to better match the contour of the rear wheel and tied elastic netting for Groslch bottles or whathaveyou. I added the toe clips too so I can keep up with my wife and my only gear. It's very nice to ride, not built for speed or anything, just to be different. Louisiana is not bike friendly, at all, so we go for short rides around the neighborhood. I did all of this over a six month period when I had the time. For all the v-dubs I've worked on over the years, well, this was more or less the first thing I actually ever 'finished' which was a great feeling. An attainable goal I guess. I still want to touch up the rack a little bit.
000_0570.jpg

000_0571.jpg

000_0572.jpg

000_0573.jpg

My nephew's bike

This started out life as a kid's purple Roadmaster 'mountain' bike I bought for $35 in Golden Meadow, LA. It was rideable and I bought it so we could have a project to do when he came down for a visit in the summer of 2006. Although getting him to come up with ideas ahead of time was like pulling teeth, he did a really good job of stripping everything down. He was 15. I bought some of the parts ahead of time, but he was only visiting for a few days so we didn't get it done at the time. According to what he told me he wanted and a simple drawing, I set up a jig of the frame taking measurements of angles and lengths so I could 'extend' the main tubes of the frame about 4 inches forward or longer if you will. Anyhoo, almost six months passed as I was busier trying to finish my shop so I'd have an enclosed place to work on the bike.

S5000300.jpg

S5000357.jpg

S5000361.jpg

S5000370.jpg

When I got back into it in March of '07, it took about a week to finish it, as in working on it every day for several hours. The tubing I got was a little too thick so I had to torch the metal to get it to bend. All the notches I cut took fairly small amounts of extra work to get them to fit. The multi-speed rear end was ditched in favor of a coaster brake rear end and all the associated holes welded up. The above test fit I did before painting included everything except the new sprocket on the crank, big mistake! I painted everything, started assembling the bike and found that the sprocket I was going to use wouldn't work as it was a straight one and the bike came with a two sprokets riveted together. The newer sprocket would've hit the frame. Poop. I had to use the old sprockets but ground off the teeth of the smaller inner sprocket. This was also my first time powdercoating all the smaller parts black with a $5 toaster oven I got. The paint turned out great. The front forks were a little difficult getting all the way down so there was no up and down play on the bearings, but all told it was very smooth to ride. I like the way the rear tire fills up the rear part of the frame.
The seat and bars are cranked up as I'm very tall, it looks better with them lower for my nephew. I took it apart, boxed it up and sent it to him. Nice uncle, huh?

codybike.jpg

S5000402.jpg

S5000403.jpg

S5000406.jpg

S5000408.jpg

nice job unk! Did you purchase the black rims like that or did you paint them? Oh! and where's that 3 speed hub? I would like to purchase.. lol

FaceOFFbikes said:
nice job unk! Did you purchase the black rims like that or did you paint them? Oh! and where's that 3 speed hub? I would like to purchase.. lol

Thanks for the comments guys. I painted the rims black, the front one is original to the bike and straight so I just tightened the spokes, sanded the rusty chrome and painted them flat black. The rear rim I bought new and had to use a dremel and a small sander to scuff up the chrome before I painted it, sorta painful to scuff up that new chrome, but the option of rechroming everything for $$ didn't appeal to me. I painted the tire sidewalls(yellow) at the same time too and it didn't take long for the paint to start peeling off after riding it. I pulled both of them back off and it dawned on me to use vinyl and plastic paint. I used the dremel again to scuff the holy heck out of the tire surface before applying the vinyl paint. It's worked pretty good ever since, just minor parts where it peels near where the rim makes contact with the tire rubber but I touch that up with magic marker.

I also pulled a bmx bike out of a garbage pile at some point with the intention of redoing it for a friend. Well, my shop took a lot longer to construct last year than I had thought, I had a pile of metal scrap I wanted to cash in and at that point I knew I needed to cut down on the number of projects I had. Anyhoo, I also, distantly, had the intention of using the three speed wheel for another project or selling it, but I didn't have an outlet so it wound up getting tossed with the scrap pile and the bmx bike. Sorry.

Things are winding down with my VW Golf I've been working on this year and I'm thinking about selling it soon. After this I'm going to make a lowered radio flyer wagon for car shows, then I'm going to get my '66 VW bus back on the road, then start work on my '73 super bug. Glad I found this site recently.

You.. you scrapped it?! -clenches heart- lol.. Hey things happen and you gotta do what you gotta do.. I actually tossed a J.C. Higgins girls frame in the trash.. rack, fenders and all... what was I thinkin..

Like what youve done with the huffy. I think that's the look I'm going for on my current project. I also like the color on the other bike.
How much do you want for the V-dub? Here's one I did a coupla years ago.
2185525_1_full.jpg

They're great cars if ya maintain em. Expensive to work on. and unique to drive.

br549 said:
Like what youve done with the huffy. I think that's the look I'm going for on my current project. I also like the color on the other bike.
How much do you want for the V-dub?

I'll be asking $2000 for the Golf. I've had the car 11 years, tough as nails. I dropped in a P+P 1.8 head on a 2.0L block with a Mk3 trans and a Quaife limited slip, it's a real torque-monster now and still runs like a top all these years.

S5000723.jpg

I think your Huffy is a Sportsman. I picked up a ladies version and it had the same paint and stickers and the raised white letter tires..
0093.jpg

I think most people are using straws slit on the sides or aluminum foil (if you don't plan to remove the spokes)

Those bikes look awesome. Nice work.

Back