Twist grip to Stick shift example

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's one solution for a stick shift.

I started with a 3 speed twist shifter
DSCN1959.jpg

DSCN1963.jpg

Fabricated a stub mount using a piece of handlebar, a stainless strap, a captured nut and bolt
DSCN2460.jpg

DSCN2463.jpg

Cut the twist shift down to just the shifter gate then filed nubs on the end (kind of like the points on a crown) to improve resistance to twisting apart once epoxied on to shift lever
DSCN1968.jpg

Dimples on lever match nubs on shifter gate
DSCN2452.jpg

Epoxied

DSCN2465.jpg

Fabricated a shift lever using about 10 gauge plate steel, shift knob is a mini billiards cue ball
DSCN2472.jpg

DSCN2468.jpg

DSCN2475.jpg

DSCN2477.jpg

Great shifter conversion!!!
I am pretty sure there is a Shifter Gallery thread. You should definitely post the finished photo there too.

Version 1.1 became necessary when the shift lever twisted off the gear selector. I half expected a failure at that connection, it was only a small bead of epoxy and my epoxy was not fresh. I think the biggest contributor to the failure was the torque required to rotate the shifter, great when it's a grip shifter on the end of your handlebars, not so much for the stick shift. A simple swap to a less stiff spring took care of that, you can see the old and new springs in the photo.
DSCN2478.jpg

To ensure the lever would not twist off the gear selector I added a large panhead screw through the center with a nut on the back to give the epoxy something more to grab. I also drilled holes around the parimeter of the gear selector and ran pieces of nail into the epoxy for torsion stiffeners;
DSCN2481.jpg

I made some changes to my frame mount to allow room for more epoxy. Fresh epoxy this time.
DSCN2488.jpg

Back