Turnigy HXT Powered Custom Cruiser Worklog

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yep, we don't like it. hows that for ya. really stupit build. i'd throw that in the trash. no wait, better send it to me when ya finnish. i could use an electric bike. hahaha, got ya didn't i.lol. really, very nice so far. will be watching this one. good job. keep on a buildin. :)

Outlaw

Galtbacken is the guy who does most of the full scratchbuilt frames, not to mention accessories, seats, lights, etc. There are a few motor builds on here, the only electrics I recall were an old 12v clip-on, and one guy who unfortunately had a bad steering head weld, and ended up w/a steel plate in his shoulder or collar bone or something similarly unpleasant. :( I haven't checked it lately, http://motorbicycling.com/ might interest you, if you haven't looked at it already.

Hey KiM, looks like its coming along great. What kind of welder are you using, looks like a mig welder. Looks like a nice shop you have too. I dont think that there is any lack of interest in your build, just maybe more of a lack of knowledge on my part. Im horrible at electronics but I love the mechanical stuff. Its hard to comment on electronic things when I dont have even a basic background. But dont worry Im sure people on here will start to chime in. We all come from different backgrounds and expertise levels.

Hey Kim, i'm still wrapping my head around your e-trike build, let alone this one lol! This got me thinking though;
as such my feet will need to be strapped to the pedals and the stabiliser wheels used
when starting and stopping...
Most linear actuators i've seen (in the custom car world anyway) deploy fairly slowly. Even on a low slung bike, we're talking a minimim of 4 inch plus travel distance to wheels down. So, any stopping will have to be planned in advance. If you run into an emergency stop scenario, and your feet are tethered to the pedals, you're at the mercy of gravity. :shock:
Perhaps you might think of some kind of spring arm set up, similar to a crossbow to deploy the landing gear, using the actuator to retract the landing gear?
Hope it works out,
Rick

I'm interested in the brushless electric motor your planning on using. If memory serves me correctly that one is intended for the R/C airplane industry. I don't know of any RC planes that weigh upwards of 250lbs (combined weight of bike and rider) so will that little motor be able to handle the stress load without simply burning up? Thanks for your time responding. Later Travis

Cool :D My 1st (and ONLY) time riding a bike where my feet were hooked onto pedals resulted in an embarrasing and painful fall on my side due to a car door being swung out thoughtlessly. This is another build i'll be studying closely, as i've a family member who could benefit from some stability. Who knows, you might be onto something that'll cause people everywhere to re-think cycling!
Rick

I'm a little concerned with your wooden frame jig. I realize it might be all you can afford or all you feel is necessary but a jig is built to hold everything straight and accurately and to help with the twisting and warping forces being exerted during welding. I'm sorry but wood just won't do! Maybe if it was hard maple or walnut, but metal is better. Please understand that I'm merely giving CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, I'm not trying to pee in you oatmeal.

Here is a few pictures of my frame jig that I built with about $50 worth of new and scrap material. It could be made much cheaper with all salvaged materials. It has served me well over the last year and is very adjustable so I can use it for bikes and motorcycles.
2przl2v.jpg

16tnol.jpg

2llmvb8.jpg

On a different note, I was wondering why would you use both a belt reduction and a chain reduction, and then another chain reduction to the wheel? Why not use two belt reductions in series? Belts are quieter, almost zero maintenance and last forever. They'd probably outlast the batteries. I know a guy in Denver with http://www.carbondrivesystems.com that makes a belt final drive system that I'm trying to get for my cruisers. They are really sweet! Check them out.

Also why is it that with all your ideas of flowing lines of your frame, your batteries still look like a brick? I've looked into building my own E-bike for sometime now and if I were to use the newer A123 Nano Phosphate batteries or even the Lithium Ion batteries I was planning a way to incorporate them into a better looking configuration than a hard edged square brick.

Anyway I hope this helps. later Travis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back