*TUMBLEWEED* Finished!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Tumbleweed: 7/3 Pin striping by Karfer67

When I saw the Trader Joe Hummus Dip I saw how those colors were good together........
But Man Alive...Wow, he did an incredible job with that stripping.....
I think that deserves a real big .....YEEEEEEEEEHAAAAWW....
By the way, I was digging on you're bike already, it's looking nice...

Lookin' really good so far . . . I can't wait to see a mock-up with the new artwork!
Brentley said:
. . . I'm a cowboy at heart, you'll find me pedaling this thing in cowboy boots and wranglers. This my first build so give me input as i go along here . . .
This bike will need a cowbell hangin' off the bottom bracket! :wink:

more-cowbell.jpg

The plan is next week to assemble, there are a few more touches to go, just gotta find a cowbell...

Brentley said:
kingfish254 said:
Sweet striping! Makes me wanna listen to some ZZ Top Fandango.
:lol: :lol: This will sound fruity but when i had the dream that inspired me for this build i was hearing "Sharp Dressed Man". Not the same album but kind cool that it's throwing off a similar vibe!

With your color choice you could also use "Mexican Blackbird" as you ride tune.

"More cowbell" is always good too.

ok now i too want to see them on the bike. it was a challenge to do them like you wanted but it works i think. get to building!!!!

karfer's bike just got "bumped" out of my top three....Tumbleweed is "in"! :lol: :lol: :lol:

darn i think the two bikes i laid lines on are gonna beat me haha :mrgreen:

Lookin awesome buddy! 8)

KOTA said:
karfer's bike just got "bumped" out of my top three....Tumbleweed is "in"! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not bad for my first build to get that attention of Kota, thanks! Though i've seen "Hard Luck" in person and talked to karfer a bit about his plans, that's going to be tough to take votes from when it's finished.

I hope to assemble Sunday, i'm just letting the paint cure right now. I've got some copper stabilizer bars i made for the fork (an idea which i shamelessly stole from tatman) that need to be drilled. I hate to copy like that but the black with the teal needs some copper accents to match my seat rivets. Also, i'm attempting to copper plate my head badge as we speak, i'll let you guys know how that turns out. Pics soon.

Re: TUMBLEWEED copper plating fail but cool result

Well, this is about how my copper plating job went
129085091532357350.jpg

Not how i planned but for those of you who are looking to antique an aluminum head badge take a look at what some copper pipe, two 9V batteries, and some vinegar can do in a couple of hours>
This was polished when i started

SANY0007 by sabbparrish, on Flickr
Cool in a ratty way but not quite the look i want for this bike, if you want to know how to do this just PM me. Perhaps i should just cave and get some copper metallic paint...

Other than some more washers i did mock up the tail light to see how it all fits. It's going to bolt on with the seat post clamp. I need to bend the brake arm i got from Pick but other than some shine this is what is going on the bike.

SANY0009 by sabbparrish, on Flickr
Another view

SANY0011 by sabbparrish, on Flickr
I think i will mount the battery under the seat to make it look clean rather than on the brake arm. Not much but that's it for now.

Brentley said:
. . . I just gotta find a cowbell . . .
A copper cowbell! :wink:

How 'bout some of this fer yer headbadge . . . http://www.tcpglobal.com/kustomshop/ite ... N2135-BOOK
You'll need a can of sizing to go with it, but this will give you plenty to practice with . . . it would look cool now that the headbadge is antiqued! 8)

Oh, btw, keep up the good work!

I like that tail light bracket idea, may have to steal that one on a future build. From one Brent to another! Lookin C 8) 8) L!

Re: *TUMBLEWEED* Oooh! Shiny! Copper support tubes, done. 7/6

Thanks again to Tatman for this idea. I finished up the copper support tubes for my springer. Thankfully my grandpa has a drill press which made drilling the thin copper much easier. Put a little shine on them during my lunch hour. If i get some time in the next few days i'll put the springer together to see how this looks with the black forks and crown.

SANY0012 by sabbparrish, on Flickr

pick said:
I like that tail light bracket idea, may have to steal that one on a future build. From one Brent to another! Lookin C 8) 8) L!
Have at it, i think that's what makes great bikes is borrowing details like that and combining them or changing them. If you decide to do an LED custom light and need a hand let me know, i did a tutorial a while back and i do have a few spare parts.

Looking forward to see those copper supports installed. Cool idea.

kingfish254 said:
Looking forward to see those copper supports installed. Cool idea.

Great idea, Brent! I may have to steal that one also & I may take you up on the LED thing in the future! 8)

Re: *TUMBLEWEED* Mini mock up and springer assembled 7/11

Well, i haven't been any where near as productive is i wanted to be today, such is married life! I got the tail light all lined up i just have to wire it. I do have what you all want, pictures! Although, not very good ones, just from the phone. Here's the springer with paint and copper tubes.

071011181054 by sabbparrish, on Flickr
Here's one with the light and the new bracket.

071011220121 by sabbparrish, on Flickr
A little sneak preview just because i had the phone handy and i was testing out some bolts

071011220609 by sabbparrish, on Flickr
Magna tear drop pedals should be in the mail, i hope.. something is waiting pick up tomorrow anyways, hopefully i will have it at least on wheels tomorrow.

Re: *TUMBLEWEED* Almost fully assembled, with pictures!

Not the best pictures again, my phone has a hard time with low light photos but it's so much easier to upload them. I promise better pictures when it is fully assembled. I still have to do some work to the copper tubes because they aren't fitting right by the axle. There are also a few more detail items coming in the mail. The first few photos i had to lean the bike against the table to get the bars to sit about where i want them since i didn't feel like going out to the garage at midnight for an allen wrench. I'll probably take about 2" off either side then i'm going to wrap them in brown cloth bar tape. I wasn't too sure about the tires because when i bought them i had a different paint scheme in mind but seeing them on there i think i'm going to stick with them, looks good with the black wheels.

071111230948 by sabbparrish, on Flickr

071111230852 by sabbparrish, on Flickr

Here is some better lighting but that's not how the bars are going to sit.

071111231134 by sabbparrish, on Flickr

071111231151 by sabbparrish, on Flickr

Brentley said:
Thanks again to Tatman for this idea. I finished up the copper support tubes for my springer. Thankfully my grandpa has a drill press which made drilling the thin copper much easier. Put a little shine on them during my lunch hour. If i get some time in the next few days i'll put the springer together to see how this looks with the black forks and crown.

SANY0012 by sabbparrish, on Flickr
Awesome idea I like it! :D

Re: *TUMBLEWEED* Almost fully assembled, with pictures!

I love the copper struts and the tie-in to the seat rivets. Beautiful ride!!!

Back