Tubing for triple tree forks?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What diameter tubing are you guys using on your triple tree (dual crown) forks? I'm planning on building a set and am wondering where to start. Looks like most are 1 1/8" to 1 1/2".

Also will 1/8" steel be beefy enough for the drop outs or should I go thicker? Seems like it would be plenty strong, but most look thicker.
Thanks

When i built my last fork I used 1/8" wall 1" ID 4130 chromolly. I used an old Rock Shock for the crown & Steerer tube. I cut the upper fork stanchions as low as possible, sleeved over them with the 4130 and went from there. If you can find a similar suspension fork with removable legs (from the crown) it would be pretty simple to make a tripple tree fork this way. I made my fork dropouts from 1/4" cut out on a plasma cutting table. Still have some left if you need a pair.

I bought a set of tree's that were from a 20" bike that has 1 1/2" tubes. I may sleeve them down to a smaller diameter though. Or I may do the top portion in 1 1/2" and see if I can get something to taper to 1 1/8" just below the lower crown. That might have a little different look to it. If nothing else I can just make a split bushing to adapt the size difference. We'll see if the steer tube is long enough, I might be modifying that as well.

If your's is 1"ID with 1/8" wall it would be 1 1/4" OD then.

I made mine out of 1/8" wall tubing, 1 1/4" o.d. I used a 5/8" nut welded into the top of the tube, with a 5/8" bolt to hold the top tree to the fork. This is beefy, but it is what I had laying around. I used 1/4" steel plate for the triple trees, and 1/8" for the dropouts. It's a little heavy, but SOLID.
100_1710.jpg

100_1708.jpg

looks good Ithink the proportions are good. I found some 1/8" plate around to make the drop outs. I didn't make the steelyard in time to get my tubing yesterday.

Back