tube roller or tube bender????

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so I was wondering which tool would do a better job. I was hoping for some input from anyone out here that has used one or the other or had better result one from the other. i am looking at making a frame. I want nice smooth line. maybe for those of you that have used these type of bender can post up some frame pics that where made using said type tools.

thank you in advance

Lonny

Both these bikes use 1.5" and 1" tubing. The 1" was rolled (coz my homemade roller has wooden dies) and the 1.5" tubes were done with a cheap bender using a series of many, many (many) small bends close together. If you have easy access to a good roller, it'll save you time (and bodywork) when making sweeping curves. In fact many people use a car rim, fork in a tree, dumpster or even conduit bender depending on material used. :mrgreen:

rearview.jpg

seatdownLarge.jpg

Roy over at http://www.freakbikenation used this method:
bendingtube002.jpg

Marty Eden the self proclaimed 'King of Conduit' claimed to either stand on and pull or bend EMT over his knee to make bikes like these:
martygrinder.jpg

martyIMG00121BB.jpg

martymini_003_0BB.jpg

martysYellow.jpg

The bender will give you more versatility. For the long broad bends, you can heat the tube up and pull it to the desired arc, around a buck.

Ring rollers, although I'm sure someone might have a contrasting view, are mostly for making uniform round circles in a continually tighter and tighter fashion, eventually achieving a complete circle.

A basic manual bender goes for around $900, but if you are a decent fabricator, you can actually make your own roller in a couple of days. - Both have their attributes and limitations.

Really depends on budget, if you can afford to have both that would be the way to go, if not I'd go with a bender and a good torch set. you can get nice bends and if you need a long curve then heat the pipe and bend it over an old car rim or something.

Back