Tube Bending

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there.
For me the one of the most difficult things while building a frame is to bend the tubes.
On the two bicycles I've built, the tubes where bent at a local shop, but I'd like to do it myself.
What is, on your opinion, the most effective way to shape them?
Thanks

this is what your supposed to use, they also make roller benders that are nice...

image_213.jpg

I haven't made any bike frames but have one similar to this that I used for my roll cage in my Samurai.

M3B_Bender1_rs.jpg

The orange one is a pipe bender which will sometimes kink the tube sometimes. That roller style is the best setup for large radius bends like you would do on a bike frame. Mine is more for tighter radius bends like you would use on a roll cage, etc.

Has anyone tried to bend 1" stainless tubing into the shape of handlebars? I'd like to make some custom bars. Gary

Just a side note. The roller bender in the picture will do very nice bends. The bad is it doesn't bend all the way to the end. It deforms the tubing and there is no way I have found to just turn a piece of tubing over and bend the same one the opposite way. You have to bend two ,cut and weld them together to get that S curve effect. :cry: :cry:

well the roller bender has been hand made by a few of our members
if your that eager to hand craft the tool search the how to area for them

wooden rollers, car steering wheel and some chain i think was one.

i would say go to the store if you can a look at one.
the roller bender would be fairly easy to build.

after you build it show us.....

utf-8BSU1HMDAxMDkuanBn.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAxMDguanBn.jpg

If you want to go with the heat it up and bend method you can make some shapes out of wood the shape you want to bend then heat up and bend it over that.

never seen a bender that bends a continuous radius- youll always have ends to cut- unless you have a jig, etc. A conventional bender is only made to work one radius... dont forget the shot or lots of sand-

architectom said:
never seen a bender that bends a continuous radius- youll always have ends to cut- unless you have a jig, etc. A conventional bender is only made to work one radius... dont forget the shot or lots of sand-

I think some of the computer controlled mandrill benders can do that... if you have the $$$$

If we all kick in $100 and store it some where in the middle of the country( Iowa?) any member could use it when they want. Just an idea. :D

it gets cold there, i will make room or build a shop and the weather is always good in CALI

Don't laugh....it works.

I took an idea that another guy had on the J.J had. He used a small rear drum from a Jap car mounted to the hub.

I grabbed a few chunks of tubing I had, a drum brake pad and a bunch of little scrap pieces. It took me about an hour to make.

I was shocked that it actually worked...and well! I first tested it on 1/2" tubing. But it bent 1 1/4" tubes for my friends hardtail with no problems. Obviously you are limited to the bends and tube size, but it has already paid for itself twice.

DSC00385.jpg

DSC00386.jpg

DSC00387.jpg

We used it to bend the tubes for this-

5.jpg

But thinner wall stuff is tough. I could easy use a conduit benders and make something similar.

Back