Trizeps

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also realized today that none of the pedals in my stash fits those cranks. It's the first time I deal with a crank like this. Is there an easy/cheap way to convert this to a standard BB or do I really need to hunt for those odd size (as in non european standard) pedals...?

I also realized today that none of the pedals in my stash fits those cranks. It's the first time I deal with a crank like this. Is there an easy/cheap way to convert this to a standard BB or do I really need to hunt for those odd size (as in non european standard) pedals...?
1/2 inch BMX would work

One of these sunlight conversations kit
sq.jpg

But don't know how easy to find in Europe

Thanks for the help, but shipping from overseas will get me the pedals in time for the summer BO probably :crazy: :rofl:
I already found some halfway decent 1/2" pedals in the bay, so I'll stay away from converting the BB...
In the meantime I might be able to steal/borrow some pedals from a kids bike...:bandit:

Thanks for the help, but shipping from overseas will get me the pedals in time for the summer BO probably :crazy: :rofl:
I already found some halfway decent 1/2" pedals in the bay, so I'll stay away from converting the BB...
In the meantime I might be able to steal/borrow some pedals from a kids bike...:bandit:
That was my other thought

First Task today was to shave off some meat on the lower side of the rear dropouts.
IMG_20231002_105816552.jpg

The cut was quickly made, but after that it needed some intense filing due to low tolerances and welding seems, but I finally made it work...
IMG_20231002_110721184.jpg

IMG_20231002_110737697.jpg

And then came the next obstacle: the rear stays were too thick so the hub didn't get enough clearance.
IMG_20231002_115449146.jpg

But some more cutting and filing took care of that (I'll need to fill that hole later...)
IMG_20231002_121622221.jpg

IMG_20231002_133019304.jpg

With clearance issues sorted I pieced together a chain (will replace it with a new one later).
IMG_20231002_133035298.jpg

With the drivetrain finally working came another surprise: this rear hub seems to be able to pedal backwards...

This is where I had to stop for today (saddle is obviously also non permanent):
IMG_20231002_144546229.jpg

Tomorrow I need to take some measures and then hunt for missing parts. The scavenging of the Zündapp frame and the tractor seat will have to wait, as tomorrow I have other things to do...

Last edited:
While searching for the derailleur eyelet for my sons bike I discovered some parts that might go well with this build:
chain guard
IMG_20231003_130041708.jpg

rear light(s)
IMG_20231003_130048433.jpg

I also mocked up my headlight
IMG_20231003_130145890.jpg

There is definitely some potential here
IMG_20231003_130206209.jpg

But for now the trike sits under a tarp until my next round on the campground...

On the campground I have a batterylight, that is mainly used by the kids when they put up the tent. It has a large reflector and I always thought, that it probably would fit my thermos...
Today I bought another one (I got it for 2 instead of 5 as it was already missing front and back cover) and disassembled it...
IMG_20231014_162953229.jpg

IMG_20231014_162941435.jpg

Long story short: it looks like a perfect fit!
IMG_20231014_163928830.jpg

It looks like I have to throw the towel on this one, at least for this build off.
I'm lacking time, and funds to finish the trike in foreseeable future. But the biggest obstacle at the moment is the lack of energy and will to get stuff done...
If a friendly mod could move this thread into the builds section would be great, so I do not need to start a new thread once I get at it again...

It looks like I have to throw the towel on this one, at least for this build off.
I'm lacking time, and funds to finish the trike in foreseeable future. But the biggest obstacle at the moment is the lack of energy and will to get stuff done...
If a friendly mod could move this thread into the builds section would be great, so I do not need to start a new thread once I get at it again...
Sorry to hear this. I hope things get better for you soon.

Sorry to hear this. I hope things get better for you soon.
No worries, it's just to much live going on to focus on building bikes.
This one will get done, just not in this (or another) BuildOff. I decided to take my time on getting things done rather than rushing it. My job as a teacher needs a lot of time and the family is also important.
So bike building has to wait until I get time on the campground again in spring (I hate building stuff in our basement).

Latest posts

Back