trip to europe

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, to start my wife and i went to hungary, where she is from, for about a week or so. she still owns a home there. well, my brother-n-law and i were scavenging around the garage and found a few bikes. 2 of them are my wifes and one was her dad's bike that he used all the time. here are some of the pics of the bikes:
2008718.jpg

this one is the lady csepel. my wife used this when growing up to get around town and school. it is pretty cool with double top bars and sturdy as the day is long. i got serial numbers and all so if you really want to know more about it i will forward you the numbers. i know nothing about this bike. so looky and tell me what you think.
2008708.jpg

this is my wifes bike in the hungarian flag colors. this bike she loves!. i am gonna have to ship that thing over here and fix it up completely for her. i want to rat rod it, but my wife likes the "plain jane" look. she made me promise not to rat this bike, but to bring it back to its original look. so i am gonna comply! i like being HAPPILY married! this is a schwinn made in hungary. it will be state side soon, so keep your eyes peeled.
2008734.jpg

also, check out the gear shift thingys on the handle bars. i have never seen any like that, but it works. it is sorta like a thumb and twist shift mix. maybe we had it here in the states, but i have never seen it (not that i am a pro at this).
2008713.jpg

2008714-1.jpg

2008715.jpg

now this is the one that i found to be the cats meow. this was her dads bike, before he passed. i was told that he rode this thing all over town. he even rode this thing a couple of towns over to meet up with his girlfriend when he was in high school. he stayed and married the girl which is now my mother-n-law. anyway, the bike has great lines, and also has a funky front break. when you pull the break lever, the plunger presses down on the tire in the middle. in the pics you see it going through the fender to the tire. i would have to say that all in all it is not the best break to have when going down the street. you have to look forward about 20 yards to see if you have to stop.
so my brother-n-law fixed up all of these bikes, atleast good enough to ride, and had a blast with the neighbors and family that day. it was pretty cool to see everyone out and watching the crazy americans fixing up bikes with little to no tools. but we got 'em working. anyway, this is my find in our (er, my wife's) garage in hungary. i am gonna bring some parts and supplies so that i can rat the 2 other bikes the next time we are there. i will keep you posted on the ratification of hungary.

Back