Trike building question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I was planning on building an adult-sized tricycle, pedals on the front wheel and all, and I want to use 26" cruiser wheels for the two in the back. What I'm trying to figure out is how to attach them to a rear axle without using cut up forks as supports. Any ideas?

Since the trailing wheels are not driven, I'd probably install them on a common full-width axle that is suspended from the bike using pillow block bearings. Such blocks often allow a small degree of adjustability fore & aft--a bonus.

Gotcha. I've got an old worksman trike in the back with an axle and pillow blocks that I could use. The only thing is the hubs that are on it right now are shot. That, and I don't know how to lace up a wheel. XD

Pillow blocks are preferred, but even a pair of U-bolts would do the job in this situation. The main idea is to get the two wheels mounted on opposite ends of a single full-width axle, then secure that axle to the bike's frame while supporting the axle as far outboard...and close to the hubs...as possible (to prevent flexing).

I really need to just get the stuff and learn. :p I was thinking of using car spare tires, but I have no clue how I'd attach them. I figured bike wheels would be easier.

Two front wheels would work perfectly. The hardest chore would be locating a section of all-thread, in the proper size, to serve as the new common axle. Easy-peasey. I'm more interested in how you're tackling the "unicycle" style of pedaling.

I'm going to be using a drift trike front wheel and fork so it freewheels. I don't think the allthread will be a problem, but what about the existing axles in the wheels I'm going to use? Can I just take them out and replace them with the allthread?

I'm basically going for this, without the negative camber on the rear wheels. It's for a post-apocalyptic event that I go to.

15208012952_3541518ce5_b.jpg

Weight's not an issue, money is. :p I'd love to use an actual trailer axle, but there's no way I could afford it right now.

Yup...just move all the parts from your stubby axles to the opposite ends of the all-thread. Luke has a good idea, too--just use wheels from a kiddie trailer. Those typically use simple flanged bearings and smooth stub axles.

I want to use bigger wheels, 29" preferably if I can find them. That way I can sink the seat lower than the rear axle. I'll take one of my wheels apart and see how it works, the allthread might be my best bet right now.

This sounds like a nutty cool project I definitely want to see what you end up with.

For what it's worth I still like the idea of using trailer hubs to bolt on some car wheels... although I may be a bit biased because me and a friend were actually building a single sided bike frame that way.

Unfortunately we never finished it though.

because me and a friend were actually building a single sided bike frame that way.

Unfortunately we never finished it though.
Planned a couple of projects doing that, the weight always scared me off, my bikes are heavy enough as it is...

Luke.

I would love to use car wheels, what with the whole Mad Max aesthetic of the event. If I could afford getting the axle, I'd use it. Right now I'm trying to keep it as cheap as possible. I'm between jobs so my budget consists of whatever money I don't spend on ramen. :p

Planned a couple of projects doing that, the weight always scared me off, my bikes are heavy enough as it is...

Luke.

Honestly as comically heavy as my bike is (something like 110 lbs I think) it's actually not too bad to ride. As long as you aren't going up any hills. LOL. But it is perfect for just cruising the boardwalk at the beach.

I would love to use car wheels, what with the whole Mad Max aesthetic of the event. If I could afford getting the axle, I'd use it. Right now I'm trying to keep it as cheap as possible. I'm between jobs so my budget consists of whatever money I don't spend on ramen. :p

Trust me I know how that goes. My big chopper was built on a budget smaller than what most of the folks here probably spend on a set of wheels. And that was a few years ago when I had more money and free time and less kids. LOL.

Still for what it's worth if you have access to some old car wheels you could always do like I did and lace them up to some modified bike hubs. It sounds a little daunting but it honestly wasn't too bad.

I'll figure out a way to make it work. :p Don't worry, I'll have a build thread posted up when I start, and a couple pictures of the finished project at the event.

Latest posts

Back