Trades or Sales You Regret

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got an offer for my rat rod Firestone Pilot and I'm considering it. But I'm worried that I might regret it in the future. Its the first complete bike I have found and I appreciate its value. But the offer is really tempting. Have any of you sold or traded a bicycle and regretted it? What were the conditions?

There's several I regret selling but having only so much space for storage I had to sell them to move on to better things. A few regrets include My reverse 3 wheel tandem (2 wheel in front, took up 90% of my shed), Two other tandems (again not space savers), my tadpole recumbent (definately not a space saver), My Hutch Judge (go price parts), My first Rat Rod I built here (was hard up for cash), few older vintage bikes, several nice mint Schwinn road bikes (I'm short), and the first custom frame chopper that I built (was sick of my friend bugging me).... just to name a few. If I kept ALL the bikes I wanted to I'd need a building the size of Wal-mart to keep them all.

But looking back I always got a good price or a good trade so I can't complain too much. If you never sold your toys you never get new toys. I just always keep the BEST toys. :mrgreen: till I find one better. :lol:

Are Pilots rare? I'm looking around and it seems that the ones made in the 40's are hard to find.
'

Pilot592 said:
Are Pilots rare? I'm looking around and it seems that the ones made in the 40's are hard to find.
'
Got a picture?

Yours is a cool bike but it's not overly rare, they are uncommon but there's still ones out there. I find awesome bikes every few days it seems, sometimes they are recumbent bikes, some days it's Wal-mart junk, some days it's nice Trek and Cannondale mountain bikes, old BMX, other days it's a vintage cruiser, one time it was a 7 foot tall unicycle. I hold a certain appreciation for bikes of all shapes and sizes, some are way cooler than others but they are all cool.

I always ride every one with a smile on my face and I keep the ones that I like to ride best (Well I didn't ride the unicycle). Many times someone offers me a trade or cash offer I can't refuse but I always find something better to ease the pain of the loss. Sometimes my "I love it price" exceeds the value and I never sell it but I always say where can you get a bike this cool or cooler for the price?

yes but only one... went to get it back .. 58 schwinn guy who bought it from me took it home and posted it
for 150 more than i had it listed for... offered him 2 bikes for it... he went nuts that I was even at his house.

I have been trying very hard to get my hands a build off bike... offered nice bikes in trade muilti bikes... bike
and cash ... but the member wants to keep it.. says he sold his last one and regrets it... but dang his hide
he will not sell :lol:

What would you guys say is a decent price for the Pilot in its condition. Its cleaned up now, but the fenders are still very crispy. Original tubes still hold pressure, and I cleaned/re-greased the gear. I might sell it to the guy for the part-out price, but I think he's going to keep it in one piece.

I've regretted quite a few. Two that stand out were actually diamondback bmx bikes though. Both were all original. One was a Mike Dominguez strike zone, 87 I think. The only thing not original were the tires. The other was a Woody Itson 88 strike zone I think. It was pink and white. The dominguez was $30 at the flea market, and the Itson was $8 at the same market, but a few years later. I miss them both and I could never fork over the money they bring to get one now, especially in the condition these were in.

I also sold a prewar western flyer at the last show I was at. I sold it for $40 after taking some parts off of it. But I let the sprocket go with it, which was one I had never seen. It was a gothic-looking version of a sweetheart. 4 tall skinny hearts with large spaces in between. Nobody else at the show had ever seen one either, and after selling the bike, a ton of people that hadn't paid it any attention were suddenly asking me questions about it because of the sprocket. Now I wish I'd have at least kept it until I had time to do some homework on the sprocket

After using my black Schwinn Deluxe Typhoon on my paper route for 2 years back in '68-69, I sold it to the kid who took over my route for $25. :roll: That's honestly the only bike I'd like to have back. Gary

I regret selling my old Trek 7000 mountain bike back in college but I'm working on the guy who I sold it to. :mrgreen:

I sold a 75 Schwinn Traveler, the made in Japan kind, back in 1979 for 60 bucks. I rode it from Tampa to Jacksonville in 36 hours back in 1978. The farthest I have ridden since is 58 miles on an MS150 tour. I painted it a nice shade of chinese green so I'll recognize it if I see it again. The kid who bought it lived on the southside of town, so I always look around every time I'm over there. I'd love to buy it back.

I also sold an Emory bike, one of the originals that was handmade from the Snyder tooling and is in great shape. I had the chance to buy it back here, but didn't have the funds at the time.

Not really a sell or trade, but had an Electra males cruiser stolen, all stock parts.. I found it seven years prior.. I always look for another one at cost.

Back