traded 2 for 4 HERCULES

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Body: Kokomo, In... Mind: in the gutter. Soul: in
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
On my way to the store I saw some bikes sitting in a yard so I had to stop and look. He says $30 take them all (4 bikes) or trade me for something I can ride! His son pipes up and says he wants a bike too. I think back to the two Schwinns I had sitting in my shed that were not selling so I told him I got two I'll trade you for the lot. DEAL!

These are what I got, I figure just in parts it's worth more than what I had in the two Schwinns and now him and his kid have matching bikes and can ride together. My good deed for the day I guess....lol. 8)

First up and I feel the best of the lot, a Hercules made in Birmingham England, I've heard the name before around collectors and I know nothing about it. I figured it's a shot in the dark but at the price it's like shooting in the dark with a scatter-gun, you're bound to hit something. It has a child carrier that I can sell to my neighbor (he's been looking for one), has a rack underneath the child seat which makes no sense but I'll take it anyway, and a generator and light, ANOTHER ONE! And I kinda like the frame lines and overall style of it. The rear hub puzzles me though. The arm has a check pattern on it with no name, and the only marking on the hub is a big B. Bendix????? I'll get some pics of that tomorrow when I get it halfway clean.

Bars I am guessing are not original also has the bent fork syndrome
P9150193.jpg

P9150195.jpg

has a Schwinn seat that I did clean after the pics and cleaned up nice
P9150196.jpg

ANOTHER GENERATOR AND LIGHT for my collection
P9150197.jpg

euro BB and a Bolt-on barrel kickstand...........that's a first for me!
P9150199.jpg

Second I got a ladies Schwinn Caliente
P9150203.jpg

also a euro BB
P9150204.jpg

decent seat with only one blemish
P9150206.jpg

some sort of mount I am guessing it was a generator but not there now
P9150207.jpg

Even a mirror!
P9150208.jpg

Third is a Rallye (Not to be confused with Raligh) this one is Made in Korea
P9150200.jpg

P9150201.jpg

ANOTHER Euro BB
P9150202.jpg

and last but not least a Huffy Pro Thunder BMX..... I looked up the serial number because the
pedals (or lack there of) looked too familiar.... Turns out it is THE one I had when I was 13 !!!
P9150210.jpg

I always did dig the bars
P9150211.jpg

has one pad left on it
P9150213.jpg

Ah the memories of riding with just a shaft for the pedal
P9150214.jpg

Spokeshave said:
Nice grab. The Hercules has a bunch of potential.

Do you have any idea on what year it would be from, I am thinking 50's, the lines say late 40's early 50's to me, but the euro bb says 80's to me, I'm stumped.

Hercules is an english brand and from most of the hercules that I have seen they were mainly three speeds. Also they were using euro BB's back in the 50s on english bikes

The LT said:
Hercules is an english brand and from most of the hercules that I have seen they were mainly three speeds. Also they were using euro BB's back in the 50s on english bikes

Cool, this one is a single speed unless it's a kick back 2 speed, I have yet to really look it over. I'll look it over more tomorrow. also the paint looks like it was painted. I think it was originally red. I'm gonna try to strip it and save the original paint.

"and last but not least a Huffy Pro Thunder BMX..... I looked up the serial number because the
pedals (or lack there of) looked too familiar.... Turns out it is THE one I had when I was 13 !!!"

:shock: are you serious?? thats soooo awesome!! what are the chances of that??

scrumblero said:
"and last but not least a Huffy Pro Thunder BMX..... I looked up the serial number because the
pedals (or lack there of) looked too familiar.... Turns out it is THE one I had when I was 13 !!!"

I know I thought it was pretty cool too, as far as the chances I owned A LOT of bikes when I was younger......well still do.... This is just one of several hundred I owned as a kid.....lol. I never had a bike more than a few weeks unless it was something overly cool then maybe a month. I traded bikes, sold bikes, drug more bikes home to tinker with. I basically ran a bike shop from the time I was 7.

scrumblero said:

very cool finding your old bike. i wish i had my bike from when i was 13. are you going to rehab it? looks to be about an 80.
what size wheels are on the hercules? i have a similar bike that uses 28's.

Metal Militia said:
scrumblero said:

very cool finding your old bike. i wish i had my bike from when i was 13. are you going to rehab it? looks to be about an 80.
what size wheels are on the hercules? i have a similar bike that uses 28's.

I THINK they are 26" but I haven't really looked closely at it yet so i could be wrong.
As far as the Huffy goes I'm going to clean it up and see how well it cleans up then go from there. Maybe try to find some re-pop pads for it. and of coarse swap the pedals.... :mrgreen:

I've got a Birmingham Hercules, with a frame similar to that, but with 2 top tubes and a downtube like a reverse cantilever. I found a serial number, 1556 on one of the dropouts. I've researched, but can't find much info on year, except that Hercules became a Raleigh off brand about 1960, then they were made in Nottingham. I saw a 1960 ad for a bike like mine, made for Montgomery Wards. Mine has a drive sprocket with H as part of it. Yours looks like the later sprocket they used on many bikes, it's possible it was changed out at some point. Your forks look just like mine, only bent, so I would guess yours is 1960 or older. The curved frame would look great done up as a Pashley Governor type bike.

Wildcat said:
I've got a Birmingham Hercules, with a frame similar to that, but with 2 top tubes and a downtube like a reverse cantilever. I found a serial number, 1556 on one of the dropouts. I've researched, but can't find much info on year, except that Hercules became a Raleigh off brand about 1960, then they were made in Nottingham. I saw a 1960 ad for a bike like mine, made for Montgomery Wards. Mine has a drive sprocket with H as part of it. Yours looks like the later sprocket they used on many bikes, it's possible it was changed out at some point. Your forks look just like mine, only bent, so I would guess yours is 1960 or older. The curved frame would look great done up as a Pashley Governor type bike.

Pashley Governor??? I'll have to google that.... :oops: I'm actually thinking of stripping the spray paint of and seeing what the original looks like. and if it's not save-able I'll probably throw on some upside down cruiser bars and make it a boardtracker.

It's pretty cool, getting back an old 'friend'. You need to go 'Rat Rod' on that puppy, clean it up and restore it for 'old times sake'.
Now, as for the men's Hercules, man I like the lugged construction of that frame. With no cantilever bars to get in the way of a tank, it would make a great candidate for a motorized boardtracker!

Can't wait to see what you do with them!

Cheers!
Dr. T

Hmmm, that is quite an odd Hercules. I too picked one up a couple of weeks ago, but mine looks more like traditional dowdy English 3-speeds. That head badge is unfamiliar to me as well. But it has the cottered cranks and lugged frame, nothing is screaming that it isn't what it appears to be. Here's a link you can use to research....

http://herculesmuseum.wordpress.com/her ... o-history/

Check the rear hub shell for a name and a 2 digit date. If it's a Sturmey Archer it will have a date on it. That will date your bike if it's the original wheel.

Wildcat said:
Check the rear hub shell for a name and a 2 digit date. If it's a Sturmey Archer it will have a date on it. That will date your bike if it's the original wheel.

The back wheel I am guessing came off of a Schwinn, The tires say Schwinn Spitfire on them, The bars are from a 1967 Schwinn, and the seat, and generator / light set are Schwinn. Looks like someone parted out a Schwinn to build this.

It has almost no markings on the hub, Just a big letter B and I did a bit of cleaning on it and found what looks to be "Redlion" etched into it. (Not Redline.... :lol: ) The hub looks very "oldschool" I've never seen one like it, Also I took the tires off and there are no Rubber spoke cover strips they are CLOTH!

As far as plans on this bike, the original paint was shot and he preped the metal well before painting so I am stripping it down.
I am thinking in 3 directions with it, Antique white with colored lugs, Flat black and ratty, or sand it all down and leave it Raw.

Or if you don't feel like messing with it, sell me the frame, forks, and cranks. My Birmingham Hercules frame was welded on and bent. It rides, but not as it should.

Well I started in sanding it down and smoothing it out and getting ready for paint.
P9160007.jpg

P9160008.jpg

Found the serial under a few layers of paint 1576083
P9160011.jpg

As it turns out it is a VERY convincing Hercules FAKE. But I don't really care as it still looks cool and I feel better about modifying it now. When I sanded down the seat tube 3 letters started to pop through the paint
A M F.......... Time to Ratify the problem
P9160012.jpg

Anybody need a set of good condition Schwinn Spitfire tires???
P9150003.jpg

Wait a minute, I have an AMF Hercules chain guard......Was AMF made by Hercules? or Hercules made by AMF? Same Hercules?

P8140009.jpg

I'm puzzled here :? :?:

outskirtscustoms said:
As far as plans on this bike, the original paint was shot and he preped the metal well before painting so I am stripping it down.
I am thinking in 3 directions with it, Antique white with colored lugs, Flat black and ratty, or sand it all down and leave it Raw.

I'm partial to leaving it raw (with clearcoat) myself.

IMG_8415.JPG

Sweet bike, I like the raw look, lots of sanding yet to go...... :wink:

Any thoughts on the history of my bike, I am puzzled :? , I'm seeing AMF which is American Machine and Foundry. On the other hand I'm seeing Hercules, an English brand. Then I have a chain guard with both on it that came from another bike so I know somehow they are related or maybe I'm going crazy.......lol

Latest posts

Back