Townie

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
So I've had this Electra Townie for 2 years now and I'm just now bringing it in for overhaul. I need to be careful because as it sits, this is not my kind of bike.... but it very nearly could be, which we all know can be dangerous.

I did what I qualify as a thorough tune up. Basically bike gets clean, everything that moves gets lubed, including deraleur pivots. The more original parts that can stay on the bike the better. I proceeded to tear it down with only two exceptions, I did not remove the bottom bracket and only opened up the headset enough to inject some Park grease, washed the bike down with Simplegreen and dove into hub adjustment (dialed back the cones just enough to inject extra grease in both). Deraleur hanger was bent pretty bad so took care of that and just happened to have a nice looking Shimano Acera long cage to replace the original broken one. Wheels took a quick spin on the TS3, pumped up to 45, and WHOA! Wouldn't these look nice instead!

No, this isn't my bike, keep going. Install brakes on freshly greased posts. Lubed all cables and locked them down. If I'm reusing them, I clip them to the handlebar and pour in the Pedros, then gravity does the rest while I install the drivetrain. Special thanks to Electra for the creative front deraleur cable routing....and What's this! blacked out Avid levers!

No, no, put those away.. 5 minutes of waxing and buffing with McGuire's and it's looking pretty good. I even mounted a Planet Bike water bottle holder. I might even go back and polish the stem for a bit more curb appeal.

I'll need to pick up some shift cables and it will be ready to go...That was close but it will be leaving the basement with all its major components intact with minimal expenditure of time and $$. I've never ridden a put your flat foot forward or whatever they are calling it Electra. Test ride in a few days, bit of tire shine and it's off to my LBS for consignment, I think..

Latest posts

Back