tornado build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a 1957 Tornado to build for my daughter's birthday
nicbike3.jpg

nicbike1.jpg

nicbike2.jpg

it has a rattlecan paint job that looks great from 10 feet but not so great close up. So far I have the wheels torn down and hubs polished up and rebuilt. The sprocket and bars are also shined up nicely. rims sanded and primered. Still deciding on the paint scheme but since she is a huge Marilyn Monroe fan it has to be pink and Marilyn themed. More pics to come. I might just end up having to build something for her husband too from the way he reacted when I told him about this build

I used a valspar pink over white primer then a topcoat of duplicolor clear effex metallic. I've used the clear effex over a metallic basecoat and the results were great, the flakes really pop in the sunlight. This is the first time I've used it over a solid color and it looks really good too I'll try to get some pics in sunlight tomorrow

I used a valspar pink over white primer then a topcoat of duplicolor clear effex metallic. I've used the clear effex over a metallic basecoat and the results were great, the flakes really pop in the sunlight. This is the first time I've used it over a solid color and it looks really good too I'll try to get some pics in sunlight tomorrow

update: wheels built and trued it is starting to come together. I sent a few pictures to her husband and now I really want to give it to he but her birthday isnt until april so i have to wait :)still have to finish up the pinstriping and get the tornado decal for the chainguard.
1300430789.jpg

1300430791.jpg

the blue came off the headbadge and it came out looking pretty good
1300431600.jpg

in the meantime i found an 80 schwinn cruiser to clean up and flip. Ill call it quickrat. the S-2 rims were too rusty to salvage the chrome so they begged for paint and the last paint job was over the existing rust so a few days sanding, grinding, scraping, some pedals i had and a great ratty S seat and ta da
1300432467.jpg
1300432464.jpg
1300432466.jpg

the paint came out really cool, it looks like plain pink indoors but here is a (kinda crappy) pic of what it looks like when sunlight hits it
1300667714.jpg

....! im in jurupa valley XD. good to know people are near by. (recognized the black one off of craigslist)

update. I think its birthday gift worthy. I did one other girls bike before but it was more kustom than girly. These girly bikes are a different challenge
1301194088.jpg

gotta have the pink dice valve caps
1301194084.jpg

couldnt find a basket that went well so i got a plain white basket and....
1301194086.jpg

some silk flowers from Michaels and wove them in

1301259306.jpg

1301259308.jpg

Back