Torker KB2 has a 2 speed rear hub

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can anyone explain how a person operates the Sturmey Archer KickBack hub?

Sounds kind of awkward. I'm interested in using one of these, just trying to get some feedback.

I've never owned a kick-shift myself, but my experience with other geared coaster brakes is that they brake differently in in different gears. May be you can find one in a lbs that you can test ride.

I like the 2 speed kickbacks. I put them on the bikes I build for myself. They take getting use to, but allows me to start from a stop with out having to stand on the pedals hard to get started like you do with a single speed coaster brake . Really nice when you running a 52 tooth sprocket up front. And its nice to have a low gear for going up hills.

I use the Bendix Automatics, both the red band and the yellow band ( three red or yellow stripes on the hub are underdrives, three blue stripes are the overdrive).

It takes some getting use to, because anytime you kickback for shifting or braking, it changes gears. So, you have to keep in mind what gear your in, if you are in high gear and riding fast and have to slow a little bit using your coaster brake, you have to kickback slightly a second time to get back into high gear or when you pedal again you will be in low gear and your feet will be pedalling at a million mph and you could hurt yourself (thats why most factory bikes with 2 speed KB have front hand brakes). Also when starting from a dead stop you have to keep in mind that you might have to do a quick kickback to get it into low gear ( although when you get the feel of it when setting at a stop you can kickback to the brake a time or two and notice the pedal forward position is different for high and low gear and can set the gear for your take off) . After a while of riding with these hubs you get it figured out and they are a pleasure to ride, especially if the bike is long and low or has low bars that make it difficult to stand and pedal.

They allow for a super clean look with no cables or hand brakes.

I had the Blue band 2 speed on my Sting Ray back in the mid 1960s, It was the fastest bike ( drag racing ) in the neighborhood because of the holeshots using the lower gear. Someday I hope to ride a bike with this new SA 2 speed KB, Im sure it will be a pleasure to ride, but until then I will use the old Bendix 2 speeds.

Back