torch requirement?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I need to heat some steel parts red-hot; for example:

1. sheetmetal - tanks, fenders, chainguards, in order to shrink metal previously stretched by knuckleheads armed with ball peen hammers and other precision techniques.

2. frame gauge tubing - in order to shrink and reshape a stretched out headtube that is flared out on one end.

What size or capacity torch do I need? Will a little propane tank torch do it?? Or do I need an oxy-acetelene setup?

oxy-acetylene is the best setup ideal for brazing an silver soldering but it depends where you are in the us/uk, in the uk you have to have a licence for the acetylene as well inspections for fire and health and safety if your in a residential aera thay wont issue one

You can use a oxy-fuel setup like the oxyturbo set 90 but you do go through the disposable oxygen quickly (i use a adams-gas hobby oxygen 9l rent free cylinder instead)

propane is ok but to get it red hot it takes too long and the heat tranfers through the metal it then looses its strengh

Back