to whiten pedals or not

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to add some off-white pedals to my bike to match the Felt Quick Bricks I have. I finally found some pedals I like but had to accept blemished ones. The appear to be Torrington 10 copies and were listed as Magna brand???

One pedal is a consistent off-white, the other is a mottled much yellower colour.

I at least want them to be close to the same colour so I am thinking to lighten the darker pedal with peroxide, or alternatively I could darken the lighter pedal, perhaps with tea.

I would appreciate your thoughts. BTW the rubber is very hard now.

8244956823_0a692d6ce0_o.jpg

do it man.. but if i were you i would tape em off really well and paint them i heard they have some kind of plastic spray stuff try that?

You might try coffee instead of tea , in my experience (this was with paper) tea made the paper turn gray and coffee made the paper turn yellow (like old time parchment)

Herman said:
You might try coffee instead of tea , in my experience (this was with paper) tea made the paper turn gray and coffee made the paper turn yellow (like old time parchment)

Thanks, that might be a possibility too. I drink pretty strong tea though which turns paper a brownish parchment looking shade.

Well you can get them back to original white really easily. Just get a plastic bucket/tub(CLEAR PLASTIC!). Fill the bucket/tub with Hydrogen Peroxide, unbolt the pedal blocks and submerge them in the Hydrogen Peroxide for a few days(out side and in the sun!), after a few days in the sun, take them out and wash them with clean water and marvel at the bright white pedal blocks you now have! I've done this with old mags,seats,grips and have always had great results.

It could be that the casting materials just had some variation or one is just sun damage issues, regardless those are still nice, I would run them as it and they'll get weathers if actually ride the bike. If they're are for a show bike, then you'd want to match them. My wife has custom cream colored AS pedals and she rides, you can tell.
Did you get those on ebay just recently?

So if you do want to change the color I would try the tea route like some people mention.

sensor said:
Well you can get them back to original white really easily. Just get a plastic bucket/tub(CLEAR PLASTIC!). Fill the bucket/tub with Hydrogen Peroxide, unbolt the pedal blocks and submerge them in the Hydrogen Peroxide for a few days(out side and in the sun!), after a few days in the sun, take them out and wash them with clean water and marvel at the bright white pedal blocks you now have! I've done this with old mags,seats,grips and have always had great results.

I did just that, but didn't go completely white; I just tried to match them a bit.

abe lugo said:
It could be that the casting materials just had some variation or one is just sun damage issues, regardless those are still nice, I would run them as it and they'll get weathers if actually ride the bike. If they're are for a show bike, then you'd want to match them. My wife has custom cream colored AS pedals and she rides, you can tell.
Did you get those on ebay just recently?

So if you do want to change the color I would try the tea route like some people mention.

I did lighten the darker one and then soaked both sets in tea. I plan to ride them so they will get weathered.

Yes, I did just buy them on eBay.

Just did a quick tea staining (will do a bit better later) and threw them on the bike. Quite pleased.

8256087540_d99c7bbc9c_o.jpg

8256087854_3fa15f7803_o.jpg

Back