To Springer Forks or Not to Springer Forks?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everybody,

I've been thinking about the forks on my bike. While the stock ones are decent, I am considering making the front a little more slick. One consideration has been Springer Forks, due in part to the look as well as the pricepoint since they seem to be cheaper than a lot of other funkier forks out there.

The price also makes me nervous, however, considering the amount of moving parts. I feel like they could be bad news if I were going too fast or something. Are there situations where I should avoid Springer Forks but not others? Should I just save my money for something more durable?

What do yall think?

Thanks!

Mike

I vote "no" :crazy:... a rigid bike is a happy bike.
Batman-Robin-Photograph-C11796794-736364.jpg

I have two springer bikes, my daughters bike has two springs on her fork and can be mushy, at 104 lbs it's no problem for her (besides we don't go fast). I have a Columbia single spring on mine and at 220+ I feel pretty secure. Guess what I'm saying is that there are several types out there and they all react a bit different. Other option are truss...look cool and very stable

I agreed with Barto. Every type of Springer acts and reacts a little different. Now, I wouldn't recommend many of the vintage springers if you ride hard, but just "cruising" around.......I like 'em!!

Thanks for the input everyone! I think I'll hold off until I can afford one of the higher-end forks. I ride my bike a little rougher than I think a lot of cruisers get due to the hills in my area and the rougher paths in places. I'm not off-roading, but I'm not always just cruising flat asphalt, either.

Thanks again!

I ride pretty hard. Not as hard as some of the young riders but I go over rock gardens, down steps, and run downhill courses with high banked corners. I do avoid most of the air as I go between the jumps, not over them. I also avoid the big 4 to 8 foot drops, but other than that I ride it. I had a plain forged fork but I now run a Colson truss rod fork as it is beefy. Most other truss rods are wimpy and in my opinion mostly for looks. It runs nice and straight and has not bent. I like it. I got it cheap on the net as one of the truss rods was broken at the top threads. I made my own top truss rod bracket to accommodate the slightly shortened rod, threaded it and back in business. It is beefy enough to almost look like a springer.

Yup, that's what I'm talking about. Just bought one very much like that last weekend. I think this type of truss looks just as good as most springers. I'm going to put it on an old Colombia...gonna look great and really stand up.

Oh, the black fork in the photo is the same as my daughters that I said was mushy.....how's yours? Are those the stock springs or did you upgrade them?

Barto

A springer will soften up the ride somewhat, which I like on some bikes. It dulls the quickness/handling of the bike and puts more weight on for sure. The designs are varied, and a few are actually pretty functional! Simpler the better imo. RATS look great with spingers.

Back