to skiptooth or not to skiptooth

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i am working on my newest build and i got a crank for it, mainly because i really liked the design on the sprockey
flyer06.jpg

it is a skiptooth sprocket though and it is the first time dealing with one and seeing one in real life. instantly i realized "how am i gonna find chain" i've seen them on ebay for like 60 bucks, and then i have to find a wheelset with a skiptooth hub....right?

is there any bonus to using these cranks as opposed to a normal sprocket? or is it just like this because that how it was back then...

You might be able to cheat on the wheelset, Karfer ground off every other tooth on his luck 7 Nexus hub and ran a skiptooth sprocket up front, still need the chain though.

Yep, it's suckage. Build it as a non-skiptooth for now while you look for a chain. Even if you find a crusty one, they can be nursed back sometimes. The rear sprocket is pretty easy to change, it's the chain that will be the troublemaker.

Ask around and try calling Memory Lane, they might have some used ones. Somebody will have one for less than $60 you can clean up. A Dremel and wire wheel attachment will be of great help.

There is also a "foaming" lubricant/penetrant that I have been putting on my Hawthorne's skip chain. It seems to help "float" some of the grit up to the top so you can get it out of there.

skoda said:
Yep, it's suckage. Build it as a non-skiptooth for now while you look for a chain. Even if you find a crusty one, they can be nursed back sometimes. The rear sprocket is pretty easy to change, it's the chain that will be the troublemaker.

Ask around and try calling Memory Lane, they might have some used ones. Somebody will have one for less than $60 you can clean up. A Dremel and wire wheel attachment will be of great help.

There is also a "foaming" lubricant/penetrant that I have been putting on my Hawthorne's skip chain. It seems to help "float" some of the grit up to the top so you can get it out of there.

Thanks for the info buddy, yea i think it will be non-skiptooth until i can get my hands on a chain

oldgreenbean said:
Hey Joshua85,I have a few skip chains.I am sure I can help.How long do you need?

Ummm i don't really know off the top of my head, a normal length is my best guess, i'm at work and dont have it in front of me...dont know if that helps ya any :p

ill make it simple for ya,
Things you will nead:

that skiptooth sprocket
a skiptooth chain (memorylane has them new for $90)
a rear wheel that has a skiptooth sprocket (somebody on here probably has one)

easy..simple..and to the point. I hope it helps.

Josh,I read,but never tried it...a 1/2l-1/8w chain would work on a skip sprocket.

the last 4 I sold on ebay went for $20 each
just keep your eyes peeled on there and one will show up cheaper
I am out of them at the moment I think
I might have one in my shed but the snowdrift is about higher than the door at the moment lol

About 25 cabs is a real good deal for a skip...in fact I just got one from a board member.(thanks 2')

you also could buy a girls bike with a skip tooth chain. We bought a girls 40s hiawatha for 25 bucks, You get a chain,wheels,tires, its a cheap way to get skip tooth parts. plenty of girl bikes around 8)

40shiawatha said:
you also could buy a girls bike with a skip tooth chain. We bought a girls 40s hiawatha for 25 bucks, You get a chain,wheels,tires, its a cheap way to get skip tooth parts. plenty of girl bikes around 8)

i really thought about doing this :lol: i already got a chain but i may do it if my plan for the wheels turns sour

Back