Tire question for my rat springer....help please

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to RRB.

Looks like a 50's Schwinn so it should take a 26x2.125 tire. A 26x3" probably will not fit but with a new rim a 24x3" should fit.

I'm building a bike right now that has a really beefy back tire it's a felt Thick Brick 24 x 3". when fully inflated the diameter is pretty close to the 26 x 2.125" I'm running on the front. There are a few draw back you might run into. First not all the fenders I've tried have wide enough rods and there is some rubbing. a little bending can usually fix this on a fat set of fenders. Next problem I had was, since I'm putting this on a prewar bike, the frame
is really pinched tight at the lower bracket so the tire rubs. This was fixed by moving the wheel further back but then that created new problems such as fender alignment and my drop kick stand now didn't clear when folding it up on my bobbed rear fender. The next problem was the chain rubbed o the tire. Since I'm using a skip tooth set up I haven't been able to figure out how to off set this rear sprocket enough for it to clear.

Never the less the bike is coming out great. lol Just a few things to keep in might. Not running fenders will make your life easier for sure.

But yeah Felt's Thick Bricks are the widest after inflating that I've come across.
http://2009.feltracing.com/09-catalog/parts/cruiser-parts/09-felt-thick-brick-cruiser-tire.aspx

Back