Tire help.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help! I bought a older Worksman bike from a yardsale a couple weeks ago and trying to get a set of tires. The front rim I suspect has been replaced because it has a diamond pattern etched into the lip and it fits a standard 20" tire fine. The rear rim seems to be small in diameter or at least a smaller bead seating surface. I took the rim to a local bike shop and was told there are two different sized 20" tires and this is the smaller diameter. All they could get are solid black or solid white.
So question is does anyone know what I have here and any help getting tires.
Front rim
juzu5e4y.jpg

Rear rim
3evy3upy.jpg

Frame
2araguju.jpg

Thank you in advance

Re: Tire help.

Is one of them a 20 x 1 3/8? That skinny tire may be larger in diameter.

Most 20" tires are 20 x 1.75, or other decimal sizes, like 20 x 2.125. Those all are interchangeable. Schwinn may have had their own size also, but the decimal vs fraction size is probably your problem. If it's a Worksman wheel for wide tires, it should fit the normal 20" tire (decimal). What size does the old tire say?

Its not the width, the diameter. The current tire I have is very loose on the wheel. The actual number on the side for diameter is 406. The tire size is 20x1.75. Again the bike shop guy had a smaller diameter tire that said 20x2.25 but the number(mm?) Was under 400, I just don't recall what it was. I have a 74 shwinn collegete that has bigger but non standard size tires so I understand what your saying. I dint know what the wheel I.have is.

<3 a Skyon

Looks like some European bike.

Here are the common tire sizes.
451 mm 20 x 1 1/8; x 1 1/4; x 1 3/8
440 mm 500 A
419 mm 20 x 1 3/4
406 mm 20 x 1.5- x 2.125
390 mm 450 A

The kickstand says made in germany. I haven't stripped down the bike, hoping not to. It is a foldaway and bought it with as a package deal with a Worksman trike that's a '94 model.

<3 a Skyon

Back