Tire and 3 speed hub question.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got an old Murry Phoenix 3 bike with the 3 speed hub. I was hoping to use that rim for my Worksman bike, but I found out it looks like there's no wider tires that fit that rim. It has the 26x1.375. So my first question, is there a wider tire, in the 2 and quarter range, that would fit that rim?

If not, from what I read, this hub isnt the best quality. So would it be worth it to take the hub and lace up into another rim?

Is that tire really imprinted with 26x1.375? Because that's a pretty obscure tire & rim size (ISO 599).

I don't see a name on the hub. And looking on line I haven't found out much about that bike other than its a low budget beater.

The tires are too rotted to see anything on the sides. Apparently I quoted the internet wrong. 26x1 3/8. I forgot they're not the same.

I have a 1960s Murray lightweight with a Shimano 333 Hub. I have not messed with it but I guess they were not to highly regarded. Maybe Just find a Sturmey-Archer on Nexus hub and use that instead?

I'd almost guarantee it's a Shimano 333 as horsefarmer said. That's what all the Murrays came with then. The 1 3/8 is a larger diameter tire than the wider sizes, 1.75, 1.95, 2.125 etc, so nothing else will go on that rim. I'd also recommend a newer 3 speed (with coaster brake) on a rim that'll take the wider tires, like what came with your Worksman, or use that same good Worksman rim. Maybe a 2 speed kickback would suit you, no cables or shifter to worry about.

You might check with ind-chuckz on here if he has any worksman wheels with a 3 speed. Or, here is a Sturmey-Archer S2C 2 speed kickback hub laced to a 26 x 1.75 mountain bike rim that I have on my Worksman. It came with 116 mm spacing and fit the Worksman dropouts very well.
001.JPG

Last edited:
Thank you for all the info. I got the Worksman frame without wheels. just the frame and seat and fork and bars. Thats why I was trying to make work what I have laying around. But the Co-op might have some Worksman rims.

Whats weird is the 29 inchers off my Genesis actually fit the Worksman frame with the rat trap springer turned around.

Worksman INB and M2600 frames have clearance for 29" wheels with tires around 2" wide.... the new forks have TONS of clearance. The weird part is if the Genesis wheel's rear hub fit in the Worksman dropouts without you having to spread'm....

Easiest thing to do is get a set of regular 559mm 26" wheels and run those. You can fit 590s in there easy, and the overall diameter is almost identical to a 26x2.25", but they'll look skinny as can be between the fork blades and stays. I mean, go for it if you want, but test-fit it and you'll see what i mean....

FWIW, Schwalbe makes a slightly fatter 590 tire, the Marathon Plus in a 590x42.... but they cost $60 each and they still would probably come off pretty skinny, mounted in a Worksman frame...

The Genesis rim does need a little bit of spreading, but not more then I can do with my hands. I have Schwalbe Fat Franks 29x2 on it. And they're almost as wide as it can fit.

I ditched the idea of using that Shimano 333 hub. Just seems to be not that great especially with how much I plan on riding this bike.

I would love to fit the 26x3.45 tires, but really don't think the frame would want to spread that far.

Back