Tiki Time! Update and lessons learned

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: TIki Time!

UPDATE TIME!
Well the paint finally dried and I was able to get the assembly back on track after modifying the fenders a bit. Lessons learned? 1- universal fit isn't. :shock: 2- ALWAYS fit the bodywork on BEFORE painting! :roll: The front fender hangs a bit low, but I think I'm warming up to it. The colors work and I was able to find a person on Ebay that custom makes frame decals, so it even has its name now! :D
tt3a.jpg

tt1a.jpg

tt2a.jpg

Next, remounting the sidebar, er, sidecar, and the detailing... 8)

Almost finished now! Nothing left but the finishing touches, some touchup, a new tire...
ttf7.jpg

ttf5.jpg

Time to rest with a drink...
ttf1.jpg

bonus points for originallity! i'll take 2 pina coladas if you do delivery's north of the boarder? :)
the builds top notch! i really dig the colors, design and execution of your build.

fantastic!

hubgearfreak said:
brilliant. what's it ride like? :D
Straight is fine and left turns are ok. On right turns the sidecar wheel feels like it's trying to tuck itself under the rig...then again it wasn't designed for speed to it should be ok. The biggest prob is the size. Moving it around the garage is an exercise in patience. You also have to remember to allow for the extra size on the right when you ride or you end up scrubbing the curb! :shock:
I'll try to post a video when I have a chance to make one... 8)

Bigcam59 said:
hubgearfreak said:
Straight is fine and left turns are ok. On right turns the sidecar wheel feels like it's trying to tuck itself under the rig...then again it wasn't designed for speed to it should be ok. The biggest prob is the size. Moving it around the garage is an exercise in patience. You also have to remember to allow for the extra size on the right when you ride or you end up scrubbing the curb! :shock:

Man, this thing is sweet! With the steering issue, I gotta' ask about wheel alignment,is the rear wheel parallel with the sidecar wheel?

You can check it with some straight 2x4's. Put one 2x4 against the side of each wheel. Measure the distance at the ends of the 2x4"s, are they the same? If not correct as necessary.

JoKeR63 said:
Bigcam59 said:
hubgearfreak said:

Man, this thing is sweet! With the steering issue, I gotta' ask about wheel alignment,is the rear wheel parallel with the sidecar wheel?

You can check it with some straight 2x4's. Put one 2x4 against the side of each wheel. Measure the distance at the ends of the 2x4"s, are they the same? If not correct as necessary.

the wheels are lined up. It's cause the turning wheel and the sidecar wheel are traveling on 2 different paths. nothing major though...

Yea, after some thought I realised that. (posted a bit too quick!). If it has err one way or the other, toe it out a bit.

spinman said:
I get the first Mai Tai that you make!!!!! :p

Here's the BIG QUSTION: how you gonna lug that behemoth to the shows?? Would it even fit in your truck? I think you need a p/u.

Spin

tiki-time-coaster.jpg
it'll fit, but just barely! The bars have to come off, no biggie, and maybe the l/h pedal...and it'll be at Hot Rods and Honeys at Heavy's on the Harbor on Friday June 18th. Can't make the June Collingswood Cruise Night, my son graduates the same day.

i was think'n (try hard not to) if you had a narrower tire on the side car that you can inflate to higher presure,
there should be less tire contacting the road making turning easier.

its the tire dragging sideways (going in a different dirrection, as you put it) thats making that turn harder.
limit the amount of drag, and it will get easier to turn.

hth

"...I was able to find a person on Ebay that custom makes frame decals, so it even has its name now!"

I'm looking for the same thing- you remember the name of the seller or eBay store you found?
Thanks in advance!

Latest posts

Back