TIG welding vs Silver Solder...input please?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have some pretty light guage (.040) aluminum to weld up. I've been asking around to my friends that weld about stitching this stuff up via TIG (I'm afraid with my lack of experience that I would blow a hole right through this stuff. One of my co-workers (master tech, mind you...can fix anything with a motor :)...) suggested the silver solder method. Roll of silver solder, torch...voila! And he says you can shape/sand the solder for a smooother look on the finished product.

Has anyone heard of this/ done it themselves?

Thanks a mil!

~RonK

If your not that good with a tig welder that would work I fixed a gas tank on a motorcycle like that once it was leakin on the seam

Thanks, Big K...input is appreciated. I had never heard of it, LOL. I'm pretty handy, but like I said, I'm afraid I would blow a hole clean through this aluminum stock I have being that you have to get the feed SO hot and then back it off...

Do a web search for a product called Alumiweld ( got mine at Harbor Freight). I used it to build up some truss rods with aluminum bar stock and it worked exactly as advertised. It's more like soldering than welding as you just need a propane torch. When I first got it I joined to pieces of aluminum and proceeded to beat the cr*p out of it in a vice. The aluminum stock failed before the joint. Just be sure and follow the instruction EXACTLY or you will get a poor joint.

Here's a closeup of one of the joints before I cleaned it up.

10.jpg

Silver solder on aluminum? Silver is meant for steel (excepting electrical or jewelry work). Generally used on lugged frames and used to wick into thin gaps.
Even when tig welding aluminum frames/forks other than 7005 the piece will still need to be re-heat treated.

I'm leaning towards the alumiweld...been watching YouTube vids to get the technique down...I'll post some pics and vids of my progress this weekend (well after Sunday).

Back