Thrift Stores

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see alot of you guys posting about cool bikes you find at the thrift stores. Not here. Rarely do you see any bikes and if you do they are just Wally junk and overpriced. The Goodwill store has nothing but junk and incredibly high prices that they WILL NOT negotiate. You pay sticker price or you dont get it. Salvation Army has resonable prices and we have a Haven of Rest store that will barter with you on price.

Most of their merchandise here is yard sale leftovers Llike old cloths and junky knick knack stuff i have never seen many "good" things to buy. Yesterday i took an old stereo in to the SA store and the lady had me put it in the back room. I saw all kinds of cool stuff back there like a huge float you pull with a boat and lots of other stuff. Why dont you ever see it in the store? Do the employees get first choice? Bet a lot of donations never get put out but end up at somebodys home.

I barely ever see bikes at the thrift stores here other than a few 90's-2012 and many over priced but still get sold for some reason. I would love to find a early 70's & older bikes or even a 1980's BMX.

Edit 6/28/13: That was found after 16 years of looking in Thrift Stores in this Town but not much before.

all I seen & got was this 82 Murray Monterey for $10 at SA but it only had 1 original Lightning Dart white wall. The other was some brand LHR with a worn out tread.
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j206/ ... add781.jpg

You did OK with the Murray. I see a lot of those old Murrays on CL for 100.00 or more. 20.00 here is about all you can get for a real nice one. Quote someone a price of 25.00 or more on ANY bike where i live and you will have it for a long time.

Most of the Murrays on CL here are 80's & newer and none of them have stuff like Lightning Darts on them people pay money for. Very small amount of BMX or muscle bikes but ones with the usual high prices & too rusty.

There is one of those Roadmaster Harley bikes minus the wheels for $50 on CL but I have been trying to get out of bikes. Plus no money for bikes anyways which is why I'm selling all of my parts & bicycles.

wheelhorseman said:
I see alot of you guys posting about cool bikes you find at the thrift stores. Not here. Rarely do you see any bikes and if you do they are just Wally junk and overpriced. The Goodwill store has nothing but junk and incredibly high prices that they WILL NOT negotiate. You pay sticker price or you dont get it. Salvation Army has resonable prices and we have a Haven of Rest store that will barter with you on price.

Most of their merchandise here is yard sale leftovers Llike old cloths and junky knick knack stuff i have never seen many "good" things to buy. Yesterday i took an old stereo in to the SA store and the lady had me put it in the back room. I saw all kinds of cool stuff back there like a huge float you pull with a boat and lots of other stuff. Why dont you ever see it in the store? Do the employees get first choice? Bet a lot of donations never get put out but end up at somebodys home.

same problem here, nothing is ever good. When my mom lived in Virginia though, they were chock full of goodies

I took another old tower stereo in to SA the other day. Nice piece but i couldnt even get a call for 20.00 on CL. so i let them have it. The girl who took it in was admiring it saying how much she loved old stereos and stuff. Bet she took it home.

I know what you are feeling exactly. I have never seen or scored anything cool bike wise from a thrift store. Goodwill usually blows for anything but work shirts. Salvation Army on the other hand is where I've scored some cool stuff in the past.

Latest posts

Back